Senior Software Engineer (Nashville, TN)
At Iron Galaxy Studios, our teams support a healthy work-life balance, promote continuous improvement, and champion a diverse people-focused culture. We encourage Engineers from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply.
This is a full-time hybrid position in Orlando (FL), Chicago (IL), Nashville (TN), or Austin (TX) with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
Iron Galaxy is looking for experienced senior Programmers to join our world-class engineering team. Senior Programmers at Iron Galaxy work on a wide variety of projects, including creating new games from the ground up, co-developing games with partners, and porting existing games to new platforms. Our projects tend to have shorter development cycles; it’s not uncommon for a programmer to work on more than one project in a year. We’ve found that this helps keep things fresh and provides opportunities to utilize experience gained from previous projects.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be expected to take ownership of significant features and systems, debug difficult problems, and provide guidance and feedback to help your teammates grow. You should be comfortable navigating an unfamiliar codebase. While you may have one or more areas of expertise, you aren’t afraid to venture into other domains. In addition to your technical skills, you should have strong communication skills, and work well with diverse cross-functional teams. Responsibilities vary based on the project, and we will also aim to place you on projects that play to your strengths while also giving you room to grow. Here are some examples of what a Senior Programmer might be expected to do.
- Provide feedback in code reviews
- Identify performance bottlenecks and possible solutions
- Create a technical design document for a new system
- Review a game design document for a feature and provide feedback
- Implement low-level subsystems for a new platform
- Work with an evaluation team to provide information for a project bid
- Ensure adherence to platform compliance requirements
- Significant experience at a game studio (any size)
- Deep understanding of C/C++
- Strong debugging skills
- Development experience on at least one game console
- Able to adapt to new codebases and platforms
- Passion for personal development and mentoring others
If you have not worked in a professional capacity as a software engineer in game development, please describe how your programming skills from your experience will translate to this position in your cover letter.
ABOUT US: Iron Galaxy is one of the world’s largest independent video game developers with 60+ shipped titles. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports, epic remasters, and new experiences from the ground up. We partner with the top companies in the gaming industry to co-develop and support AAA game creation at the highest level.