Senior Software Engineer at Nearby (Remote)
Nearby was founded in May 2020 on a simple premise: people want to buy from stores that are run by people in their community. They want their money to benefit their local economy by shopping locally—and the more accessible and convenient it is, the more frequently they'll choose to do so.
We are setting out to build a better way to shop locally—with all the conveniences and user experience you’d expect from a big tech company, but for the independent shops in local communities that have historically been left behind by them. We’re building marketplaces like our first pilot in Oakland, California: Keep Oakland Alive. And behind those marketplaces, we’re building the toolset merchants need to thrive in a hybrid offline+online world.
Our team is composed of experienced, passionate people distributed across North America. Founded during the Covid-19 shelter-in-place, we currently all work from home and rely on tools like Slack and Zoom to support our work style, which is collaborative yet values self-initiative. That’s where you come in.
We are looking for a seasoned software engineer with years of diverse experience and a passion for continual improvement. You have outstanding analytical and programming skills with a deep understanding of software development. You have a track record of building beautiful, robust, and performant software. As a member of our team you should be dedicated to excellence and have a strong sense of personal responsibility and drive. You place a high value on automated testing, have rigorous quality standards, and are driven to achieve results in a highly flexible and dynamic environment. You are comfortable being on the ground floor for all software development at our growing company. You embrace a startup mentality and are proficient at achieving results in a fast paced environment of ambiguity and shifting priorities.
- Partner with fellow software engineers to design, build, test, deploy, and maintain Nearby’s software.
- Be an active champion for Nearby’s values and mission.
- Be an active champion for high quality software development at Nearby.
- Be an active contributor in shaping and evolving our product.
- This is a full-time position. We are not looking for a part-time contributor.
- Workday window of Pacific through Eastern time zones (GMT-5 through GMT-8).
- 4+ years developing high quality software
- Demonstrated mastery of software engineering fundamentals
- Dedication to thorough testing and creating high quality software
- Team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working from remotely independently and with drive
Our Technology Stack
- Mobile: Swift, XCode
- Backend: Python, Django, GraphQL, PostgreSQL
- System: Google Cloud, Bazel, Docker, Linux
- Development: Git, GitHub, Slack
- We value your contributions to the team! That's why we offer full medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and competitive pay.
- We love to embrace your multitudes! You're a whole person, after all, and our team is full of parents, activists, and creatives.
- We not only believe in work-life balance, we believe in having a fulfilling life outside of work! Stay mentally healthy, take a vacation, connect with your family and community as much as you need to.