Senior Software Engineer, Underwriting at SoFi (Salt Lake City, UT)
Employee Applicant Privacy Notice
Who we are:
Shape a brighter financial future with us.
Together with our members, we’re changing the way people think about and interact with personal finance.
We’re a next-generation fintech company using innovative, mobile-first technology to help our millions of members reach their goals. The industry is going through an unprecedented transformation, and we’re at the forefront. We’re proud to come to work every day knowing that what we do has a direct impact on people’s lives, with our core values guiding us every step of the way. Join us to invest in yourself, your career, and the financial world.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team who will help build a cutting-edge technology platform for the Underwriting system which is at the heart of our lending products. You will be part of a team that is empowered to make technical decisions.
On our team, you will be in the middle of it all – implementing new functionality, architecting our system, squashing bugs, maintaining the health of our code, and continually growing as an engineer. We interact heavily with pricing, data science, and risk analytics to deliver solutions which allow us to lead the market in making decisions and moving quickly. The ideal candidate is both forward-thinking and hands-on, has a strong sense of ownership and drive for delivery, and is a good mentor and co-worker. At SoFi, we pride ourselves on the collaboration between Product, Design and Engineering and so you will be involved in the entire product lifecycle, from ideation through building, deploying, continual improvement and evolution. You’ll face and solve a wide range of challenges: technical, product, and operational, shaping your personal growth and career along the way, as well as using your areas of expertise to grow the capabilities of the rest of the team..
What you’ll do:
We’re looking for back-end or full-stack engineers who are comfortable:
- Architecting, designing, and delivering scalable, highly-available services
- Owning and ideating on technical solutions for new product requirements
- Participating heavily in code and design reviews
- Generating ideas for new initiatives and technologies
- Becoming a domain expert within the Underwriting and Loans business
- Collaborating and representing engineering with outside stakeholders in product marketing, business, operations, legal, and compliance
- Working in a fast-moving, highly collaborative environment across multiple offices
- Mentoring other members of the team and helping foster a learning environment within the team
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s Degree, in a technical field
- 4+ years programming experience, ideally on a modern, microservice stack
- Our core stack is Java / Spring / PostgreSQL / AWS. Expertise with any modern Java frameworks, REST APIs, and relational databases
- Understanding of SQL and NoSQL database principles
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves, collaborate with others and get stuff done
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership; driving a project from inception to completion
- Affinity for solving problems and deep-diving into the technically-heavy topics
- Experience working in a collaborative coding environment, refining designs together, working through code reviews and managing pull requests
- Passionate about broadening your technical skill set, trying out new ideas, and teaching others.
- A passion for well-tested code and utilizing testing frameworks
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies
Nice to have:
- Full-stack engineering experience, or willingness to expand your skills across our entire stack
- Experience with Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Spring Boot, cloud infrastructure, Terraform and CI/CD
- Experience with cloud native services, especially AWS services such as DynamoDB, RDS, Lambda, Kinesis, SQS, S3 and/or Athena
- Fintech/finance experience
- Experience solving data-heavy problems such as designing/building a data pipeline
- Machine learning and data analytics experience
Why you’ll love working here:
- Competitive salary packages and bonuses
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits
- Generous vacation and holidays
- Paid parental leave for eligible employees
- 401(k) and education on retirement planning
- Tuition reimbursement on approved programs
- Monthly contribution up to $200 to help you pay off your student loans
- Great health & well-being benefits including: telehealth parental support, subsidized gym program