Senior Software Engineer (SwitchLight)- Remote at Arista Networks
Arista Networks pioneered software-driven, cognitive cloud networking for large-scale datacenter and campus environments. Arista's award-winning platforms, ranging in Ethernet speeds from 10 to 400 gigabits per second, redefine scalability, agility and resilience. Arista has shipped more than 20 million cloud networking ports worldwide with CloudVision and EOS, an advanced network operating system. Committed to open standards, Arista is a founding member of the 25/50G consortium. Arista Networks products are available worldwide directly and through partners.Job Description
Arista Networks is looking for world-class software engineers to join our SwitchLight network operating system software development team. As a core member of the SwitchLight team, you will be part of a fast paced, high caliber team building features to run the world's largest data center and monitoring networks. Your software will be a key component of Arista's SwitchLight Operating System, Arista's unique, Linux-based network operating system that runs on both Arista and Open Networking hardware.
The SwitchLight team is responsible for all aspects of the development and delivery of switch software for use with Arista’s DANZ Monitoring Fabric and Arista’s Converged Cloud Fabric. You will work with your fellow engineers and members of the marketing team to gather and understand functional and technical requirements for upcoming projects. You will help write functional specifications, design specifications, test plans, and the code to bring all of these to life. You will also work with customers to triage and fix problems in their networks. Internally, you will develop automated tests for your software, monitor the execution of those tests, and triage and fix problems found by your tests. At Arista, you will own your projects from definition to deployment, and you will be responsible for the quality of everything you deliver.
This role demands strong and broad software engineering fundamentals, and good understanding of networking including capabilities like L2, L3, and fundamentals of commercial switching HW. Your role will not be limited to a single aspect of SwitchLight at Arista, but cover all aspects of SwitchLight.
- Write functional specifications and design specifications for features related to forwarding traffic in the internet and cloud data centers.
- Independently implement solutions to small-sized problems in our SwitchLight software, using the C and Python programming languages.
- Write test plan specifications for small-sized features in SwitchLight, and implement automated test programs to execute the cases described in the test plan.
- Debug problems found by our automated test programs and fix the problems.
- Work on a team implementing, testing, and debugging solutions to larger network fabric problems.
- Worth with Customer Support Engineers to analyze problems in customer networks and provide fixes for those problems when needed in the form of new software releases or software patches.
- Work with the QA engineers to analyze problems found in their tests and provide fixes for those problems.
- Mentor new and junior engineers to bring them up to speed in Arista’s software development environment.
- Review and contribute to the specifications and implementations written by other team members.
- Help to create a schedule for the implementation and debugging tasks, update that schedule weekly, and report it to the project lead
- Create and manage a schedule for your overall project tasks, working with your team members to update that schedule weekly, and reporting project status to management.
- Work with management in making tradeoffs among staffing needs, project scope, and the release date of your project.
- BS Computer Science + 8 years experience, or MS Computer Science + 6 years experience, Ph.D. in Computer Science + 3 years experience, or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of C and Python
- Knowledge of UNIX and Linux
- Understanding of L2/L3 networking including at least one of the following areas is desirable:
- IP routing protocols, such as RIP, OSPF, BGP, IS-IS, or PIM
- Layer 2 features such as 802.1d bridging, the 802.1d Spanning Tree Protocol, the 802.1ax Link Aggregation Control Protocol, the 802.1AB Link Layer Discovery Protocol, or RFC 1812 IP routing.
- Ability to utilize, test, and debug packet forwarding engine and a hardware component’s vendor provided software libraries in your solutions.
- Infrastructure functions related to distributed systems such as messaging, signaling, databases, and command line interface techniques.
- Hands-on experience in the design and development of ethernet bridging or routing related software or distributed systems software is desirable.
- Hands-on experience with enterprise or service provider class Ethernet switch/router system software development, or significant PhD level research in the area of network routing and packet forwarding.
- Hands on experience with Broadcom XGS Hardware and SDK Software
- Applied understanding of software engineering principles
- Strong problem solving and software troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to design a solution to a small-sized problem, and implement that solution without outside help. Able to work on a small team solving a medium-sized problem with limited oversight.
- Experience working on a small team solving a large-sized problem with limited oversight.
- Experience organizing and leading small teams on group software development projects.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Candidates who are eligible to work in Canada or US can apply only!
Where legally permitted, Arista requires all candidates for U.S.-based positions to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 or have an approved accommodation under applicable law. Candidates anticipating seeking an exemption should contact Arista HR before their start date. Candidates accepting an offer must provide proof of vaccination status on their first day. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Arista's vaccination policy