dscout is looking for experienced developers with a solid command of Ruby & Rails, who are excited about the opportunity to learn Elixir on the job. You’ll need to bring your passion and general coding skills and we will provide learning materials and an Elixir mentor!
We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies and agencies like Salesforce, Sonos, Groupon, and Best Buy use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team, and we would love for you to join us.
Our web platform is built on React.js frontend and Elixir backend tied together by GraphQL APIs. We make heavy use of PostgreSQL for our storage needs and we host our platform on Heroku. Another core part of our offering are two mobile apps - iOS and Android - that are written in Swift and Kotlin respectively. We also employ WebRTC, Twilio, and WebSockets for live video streaming and use Python for NLP and media processing.
Over ten years and 45K commits later, we've maintained a tidy code base that is well documented and battle tested by tens of thousands of users.
And a few more tech details and challenges we deal with on our backend specifically:
- Our platform relies on a mature GraphQL API built on Absinthe
- We are a video heavy platform with complex video processing and property based testing for verification (we combine multiple video streams, including screenshares, and we do picture-in-picture generation)
- dscout Live, our realtime video interview product, utilizes WebRTC via Twilio and supports multiple participants
- Research survey design involves skip and knockout logic and we verify question flow using graph traversal approach
- Exporting gigabytes of video data can be a challenge and we use streaming archive generation for that
- We use collaborative workspaces through Phoenix channels and presence
- We make heavy use of background job workflows to compose media processing, for ML models, payments, data ingestion, etc and we rely on Oban for the heavy lifting
You are an experienced developer with a solid command of Ruby & Rails, who is excited about the opportunity to learn Elixir on the job. No prior Elixir knowledge is required and we’ll provide learning materials and an Elixir mentor!
We’re looking for smart, creative, and driven Software Engineers to build great software with us. You have experience creating and launching new products and tackling some technical aspects (performance, scalability, devops, etc) and you are eager to keep learning and growing. You love to write code, and strive to make it better with each commit. You're familiar with SaaS-focused modern backends, API development, SQL, and don't mind doing an occasional frontend task either. You are hands-on, self-directed, and feel at home in a fast-paced, collaborative, and agile environment.
Our team is growing but we’re not a big company. We work collaboratively, move fast (we deploy to production many times a day), and we value technical quality. If you are excited about the challenge of building an incredible product while working alongside a great engineering team, we’d love to hear from you!
what you will do
- Learn Elixir and become an independent contributor within 3-4 months of starting (we will provide learning materials & mentorship)
- Be an active member of a cross-functional product development team that frequently interfaces with business stakeholders
- Collaborate with teammates to continuously improve the ways you and your team work
- Focus on backend work (and don’t mind an occasional frontend PR)
- Be responsible for the technical quality of the team's product
- Develop customer facing applications in a fast-paced agile environment
- Work closely with the design team to deliver user-friendly and modern products
- Apply DevOps mindset to improve the Continuous Delivery pipeline and other operational aspects of our SaaS platform
what you need to have
- 3-6 years experience as a software engineer
- Experience with Ruby, Rails, and their ecosystem (at least 3 years)
- Good working knowledge of SQL
- Experience with full stack architectures, as well as API design and implementation
- Basic experience with performance monitoring and tuning
- Familiarity with frontend development
- Familiarity with agile, devops, and CI/CD
- Exposure to cloud architectures
We do our best to write realistic, accurate job descriptions, but we also recognize that great talent comes in many forms and from many backgrounds. Not sure if you meet all of the above bullets? Please apply anyway!
Note: As a result of COVID-19, the dscout team has decided to work remotely for the time being. However, we are now interviewing, hiring, and onboarding remotely for all open roles! While our office is temporarily open for teammates who feel comfortable coming in, no current or future employees will be required to come back into our office at this time.
This position is open to candidates who are legally authorized to work in the United States and who will be located in the US by their start date.
what we provide
Here at dscout, we are a team of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we are looking for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today and we are excited to build our future with you.
In addition to joining a smart and passionate team, you will get:
- A strong compensation package with bonus structure. Your success is tied to company success. We are all in this together.
- An incredible set of core benefits as well as a 401k with match, solid PTO policy, and generous company holidays. We are committed to supporting our team.
- Exposure to the inner workings of a growing company, including open, transparent communication within our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
- An education stipend. We are committed to helping build your future.
- A beautiful workspace along the Chicago Riverwalk, that is temporarily open for teammates who feel comfortable coming in and working from there. Read more about our new office space here!
dscout is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender identity and expression, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.