At Earnest, we believe in a world where paying for your education takes less time than earning your degree. Join us on our mission to empower anyone seeking higher education to reduce the total price tag of their degree, supercharge their ability to pay down student debt, and get on the right financial track fast.
A little background on Earnest: We're a remote first FinTech company with an accomplished team who believe consumer lending can be radically improved and are doing something about it. We are disrupting the trillion dollar student loan industry by redefining what it means to be creditworthy. We created a company that combines data science, streamlined design, and technology to:
- Build products that simplify the lending process
- Personalize loans to suit the needs of our customers
- Engage with our customers through more human experiences
What makes an “Earnie” culture:
Earnest’s culture is as dynamic as the products we are building and defining every day. We’re a fast-growing company, and that means we’re constantly integrating the new perspectives of every individual.
Earnies define our culture as:
- Earn Happy Customers
- Our success comes from anticipating their needs and providing the solutions they’re looking for.
- Better is Better
- The path to great means getting better every day. We push ourselves, and each other, to remain curious and think differently.
- PhD in Moving Fast
- Our customers are tired of long wait times and large student loan bills so we constantly seek out ways to deliver faster.
- Passion for Challenges
- Perseverance and optimism are just the start to take on the inertia of a national trillion-dollar problem.
- Impact is a Team Sport
- We maximize our impact when we act as one team.
Our Earnie's are fun, innovative, and willing to rollup their sleeves to help their team succeed in a fast-paced environment. If this sounds like you, and you want to join us on our mission to radically disrupt a trillion dollar fintech industry, keep reading to find out how.
As a Senior Software Engineer - SLR (Remote) you will report to the Senior Engineering Manager, SLR (Student Loan Refinancing). You will be hands-on in designing and developing high-performance, scalable, and flexible customer-facing web applications. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to participate with the team in daily stand-ups, grooming, sprint planning, retrospectives, and code reviews.
What you’ll do:
- Assess current technology platform and drive initiative to improve it
- Design, build and operate high-quality microservices in a scalable fashion.
- Build and maintain a front-end web application written in React Js.
- Bring growth mindset to drive technical excellence in team and lead various projects
- Communicate technical ideas to software developers in written and verbal formats.
- Prioritize cross-functional requests against each other.
- Partner with various teams in the Engineering org to set standards
- Use of modern project management software such as JIRA to organize projects and track progress.
- Requirements gathering and conversion into project management software.
- Breaking larger tasks down into smaller tasks and identifying the order in which they should be completed.
Impact of this role:
- Build student loan servicing product features that simplify the loan repayment process, develop payment methods that suit the needs of our customers, and engage with our customers through more human experiences.
What working on Servicing Team is like:
- Solve customer problems creatively and efficiently in a highly collaborative team environment.
Experiences you will bring with you:
- 2+ years of experience with responsive web development and mobile-first designs
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in development of highly performant services / microservices preferably in Node.js
- An understanding of how the web works and ability to weigh the pros and cons of different implementations or architecture decisions
- Interest in things that make us work better as a team, such as developing shared tooling and maintaining web best practices
- Familiarity with technologies such as Docker and NGINX
Other useful skills and experience:
- Experience developing Cloud applications, preferably on AWS or similar cloud platforms like Azure, GCP
- Experience working in Fintech, Banking, or related Consumer Financial Services companies is a plus
- Experience with using monitoring tools like New Relic and log management tools like Splunk, Prometheus.
- Experience in troubleshooting and performance tuning of enterprise level microservice based applications.
Earnest believes in enabling our employees to live their best lives. We offer a variety of perks and competitive benefits that include:
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits plus savings plans
- Work anywhere in the U.S.
- Mac computers + work from home stipend to set up your home office
- Monthly internet and phone reimbursement
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) plan to help you save for retirement plus a company match
- Robust tuition reimbursement program
- $1,000 travel perk on each Earnie-versary to anywhere in the world
- Competitive days of annual PTO
- Annual “my day”
- Pet insurance!
- Competitive parental leave
- Plenty of Earnest swag, optional in person team gatherings, picnics, celebrations, and plenty of fun virtual events
At Earnest, we are committed to building an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging enables us to move forward with our mission. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage anyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Earnest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.#LI-SB1