Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
At Coinbase, maintaining a high security bar earns us the trust of millions of customers. They choose to buy, sell and store billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. As a Software Engineer on the Infrastructure Security team, you’ll build services and features that reduce that set and maintain the highest standards of security and privacy for our engineers and users.
The Infrastructure Security team works directly with the Infrastructure team architecting, advising, and building solutions that make the Coinbase engineering platform secure and let our engineers focus on building great products. Our work touches all facets of the engineering pipeline, from development and deployment, to core infrastructure and configuration, to the cross between SRE and Security. You’ll work with these infrastructure teams while building security specific solutions that compliment the overall platform. In the next year, we’ll be working on enhancing how our services authenticate and authorize access, using eBPF and KRSI for precision system monitoring and protection, and implementing In-toto to help us track the provenance of external and internal dependencies.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Building systems that discover, inform, and maintain expectations about our infrastructure so that engineers can focus on building products, and when they need to make decisions, to make good ones.
- Contribute security functionality to the core Coinbase Infrastructure by working closely with Infrastructure engineers to extend services that they are building.
- Help Infrastructure engineers develop secure systems by advising on secure patterns and practices.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- You exhibit our core values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution
- You have strong software engineering skills in languages such as Go, Java, or Python
- You have experience with cloud-native architectures
- You are interested in security and thinking about how things can go wrong
- 5+ years of professional work experience within infrastructure security software engineering
Nice to haves:
- You enjoy wrangling complex problems and datasets - we often deal with messy or voluminous datasets such as configuration across our fleet or terabytes of logs, so interest in modern data management tools that help us find signal in the noise will be beneficial.
- Interest in cryptography or privacy engineering - we use cryptography across our organization to protect our users, and bringing standardization and integration into our platform will help meet our mission of helping engineers focus on building products. We have cryptographic engineers that build and validate primitives, but knowing how and where to use them will be helpful.
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry - we are both, and have to work to build highly constrained architectures that are as painless as possible, while remaining highly transparent for ease of compliance and audit.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.