Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build and scale the services powering our interactive web and mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely “how it looks” but “how it works.” With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! You will report to an Engineering Team Lead in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to plan a safe return to our offices for those who need it, while providing flexibility for all of our employees. While many of our engineers are based in NYC, we have teams that accommodate fully remote work. Please select which state you hope to reside in via the dropdown with our approved locations below.
What is Presence?
Presence teams build products that help Squarespace customers bring their brands to life—from registering domains to creating and publishing websites using our desktop and mobile CMS platform. As a member of our growing Presence organization, you will work with product managers, engineers, and designers to deliver software products to our customers.
We have multiple teams that are hiring, and throughout the interview process our goal will be to learn more about your technical skills, the kind of work that excites you, and where you want to take your career. Here are a few examples of teams that are hiring:
- Brand System: The mission of the Brand team is to empower our customers to build, grow, and express their brand, helping them stay consistent at every step of the journey. We help our customers stand out because we understand that a customer’s brand needs more than logos, fonts, and colors — they also need the building blocks we provide that enable them to easily express their story beautifully and in engaging ways.
- Domains: The Domains team is looking for an engineer to build the next generation of domain search and management tools at Squarespace. As an engineer on the Domains team, you will design, develop, and release critical features for customers establishing their digital presence on the web. Consider Domains a good fit if you enjoy building highly-distributed, scalable, performant, and reliable systems.
- Email: The Email team is responsible for providing customers with a custom email address essential to professional communication. We are a small team of highly motivated engineers delivering high impact work. As an engineer on this team you will design, develop and release features to provide customers a seamless, intuitive experience that scales as their business and needs grow. Join us and build the future of the email product at Squarespace.
- Core Layout: If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product programs and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! The Core Layout team manages how our customers edit and arrange block-based content on Squarespace websites. As a senior backend engineer, you will help transform how our users lay out blocks on their page, redefining a core user experience in the product. By helping us evolve how our layout system works, you'll shape how every user builds expressive layouts on their site.
- Revenue Systems: Revenue Systems is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help us achieve our mission to deliver the purchase to revenue platform that supports rapid growth organically, internationally, and via acquisition at Squarespace. The team is focused on building a scalable, feature driven subscription platform that accelerates product delivery throughout the organization.
We have multiple teams looking for engineers excited about doing fullstack work! If this sounds like you, please note this in your application.
- You will write server-side code, create high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly.
- You will develop new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services in Java
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to provide strong customer-focused experiences.
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Squarespace users and businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, readable code).
- Actively contribute to team and company standards.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Development experience in Java, Python, Go or another Object-oriented language. Experience developing large-scale software is preferred.
- An understanding of, and practical experience with, web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable code.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability is a plus.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- $100 per month remote stipend
- Education reimbursement
- Employee donation match to community organizations
- 7 Employee Resource Groups across locations
Squarespace is the all-in-one platform with everything to sell anything, providing customers in approximately 200 countries and territories with all the tools they need to sell physical products, digital content, classes, appointments, reservations and more. Powered by best-in-class design for a consistent brand experience across all touchpoints, our suite of fully integrated products enables anyone to manage their projects and businesses through websites, domains, ecommerce, marketing tools, and scheduling, along with tools for managing a social media presence with Unfold and hospitality business management via Tock. Our team of more than 1,400 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Ireland, Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles, California, and Chicago, Illinois.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.