Over a year ago, we began our journey to transform our approach to data and analytics from a batch-centric platform with siloed data marts, to our Nordstrom Analytical Platform (NAP), a real-time, event-streaming-centric, analytical platform that provides high quality, pre-stitched 360 views of our customers, products, inventory, customer service, fulfilment/logistics, and credit. This year, we are developing and releasing the next iterations of the NAP Supply Chain and Inventory data products enabling executive leadership, data analytics and data science teams, warehouse and store operations and business users to develop and deliver critical and actionable KPIs to enhance and improve our Nordstrom Supply Chain Network, Inventory management and further improve our well known Nordstrom Customer Service.
Nordstrom Data Technology is pivotal to the Nordstrom customer experience. As a Senior Engineer you will own the design and build the next generation of the Nordstrom Analytics Platform and deliver on the strategic vision of critical Supply Chain Analytics and focused features and services to enhance the inventory management, vendor compliance, customer orders, routing and supply chain and store operations across the Nordstrom Supply Chain Network with a near-real time data platform, Nordstrom Analytical Platform (NAP). You will be a key part of our Nordstrom Technology team that applies scientific, mathematical and social principles to design, build, and maintain technology products, devices, systems and solutions. These technology products and solutions provide amazing customer experiences while meeting the needs of the business. The Senior Engineer will focus on leading the design and development of highly scalable software applications, services, data pipelines and database solutions. The ideal candidate is creative, customer-driven and has a passion for data products. This opportunity also provides various avenues to collaborate and influence several other platforms within Nordstrom Technology and have a company-wide impact - both business and engineering.
A day in the life...
- Possesses deep proficiency of data engineering best practice(s)
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (e.g. Python, Java, Scala)
- Design and develop distributed data processing pipelines in the Big Data ecosystem using Spark, Flink, Kafka, Hive, Hbase, Presto, etc.
- Proficiency in writing SQL queries, schema design, and familiar with relational MPP databases such as Teradata and Redshift and/or Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Pig, Spark, etc.).
- Working experience with various data formats such as Avro, JSON, Parquet, ORC.
- Experience with cloud environments such as AWS or Azure.
- Experience with automation and orchestration platforms such as Airflow.
- Partner with the Engineering Manager, Data Engineers, Technical Program Managers, Analysts, Data Scientists and other stakeholders on building a best-in-class suite of processing tools and reporting mechanisms to bring the most salient, insightful data more directly into key business functions.
- Continual performance tuning and capacity planning for future growth potential.
- Provide a constant flow of new and innovative ideas.
- Integrates broad working knowledge in related disciplines to create integrated technical innovations/ solutions for complex business situations.
- Serves as lead resource for dealing with challenging technical issues.
- Works with larger team to drive to resolution on complex engineering problems.
- Accountable for resolving specific issues within a particular area, application, technology or system.
- Some exposure to working cross discipline and driving solutions for moderately complex business situations.
- Leads end-to-end engineering support for projects and problems of complex scope and impact within practice.
- Viewed as a trusted engineering resource.
You own this if you have...
- 5-7+ years of professional experience
- 5+ years of experience in at least one modern programming language (e.g. Python, Java, Scala)
- 4+ years of experience with MPP Databases, SQL, data modeling, data mining, and automated engineering solutions.
- Experience in developing near real-time data processing solutions using Kafka, Flink, Spark Streaming is a major plus
- Experience mentoring others.
- Makes decisions which influence and impact the success of cross-team initiatives.
- Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
We've got you covered...
Our employees are our most important asset and that's reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It's not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2021 Nordstrom
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.
Hourly and salary pay ranges specific to Colorado are listed below, which is provided in compliance with Colorado law. Nordstrom continues to remain competitive with pay and benefits in all markets.
Minimum - $12.55/hr
Maximum - $46.10/hr
Salary (Non-Exempt and Exempt)
Minimum - $30,200/annual
Maximum - $289,200/annual