Senior Software Engineer II, PHP Ecosystem (C) at Etsy (Remote)
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. Etsy, Inc.'s 'house of brands' portfolio has expanded to now include four individually distinct ecommerce brands -- Etsy, fashion resale marketplace Depop, musical instrument marketplace Reverb, and Brazil-based handmade goods marketplace Elo7. As an Etsy employee, you'll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.Job Description
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the PHP Ecosystem team. We are a brand-new team dedicated to making an excellent choice for new and existing projects at Etsy by investing in core language support and related PHP tooling.
As the Senior Software Engineer you will be responsible for streamlining the PHP update process, increasing code quality in Etsy’s large PHP codebase, improving performance in development and production, and driving new features and functionality in PHP tooling. Do you find joy in investigating into system internals, nimbly jumping across a large codebase to resolve problems, catching and fixing bugs before they have user impact, and driving longer term projects with a view to improving developer experience? If so, this could be the perfect match.
More about the role:
- Collaborate with distributed teammates in the US, Mexico and Ireland (including Rasmus Lerdorf, the original author of PHP!)
- Establish and maintain practices and tooling to streamline how PHP updates are applied to development and production environments
- Work closely with product and infrastructure teams to ensure that code running in production is of a high quality and follows industry standards
- Enrich the functionality of in-house and open source tools for static analysis, debugging, testing, and profiling PHP applications
- Define and implement methods and metrics for tracking success and growth within the PHP ecosystem
- Strong knowledge of C / C++
- Experience with maintaining and incrementally modernizing large codebases
- Successful track record of creating, updating, and maintaining tools for developers
- Ability to dig deeper into system internals to solve problems across multiple components
- Proven track record of partnering across many teams to drive adoption of new technologies or practices
- Familiarity with PHP
- Experience with mentoring, knowledge sharing and education at the team and organisation level
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you've hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you're all about.Our Promise
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.