Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack) at Varsity Tutors (Remote)
We are looking for Senior Software Engineers that know how to lead an engineering team and want to head down the path towards management. This is a great opportunity to work with an amazing team and drive the technology of learning products and platforms. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, engineers do not just write code, they actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and solutions that matter to our customers. If you love your customers as much as we do, we'd love to hear from you.
This position is a full-time remote opportunity! (We've been remote friendly for years and that isn't going away).
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position. We’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate. Everyone can grow at Varsity Tutors. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply. Apply now if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day!
About Varsity Tutors:
Nerdy (NYSE: NRDY), the parent company of Varsity Tutors, is a leading platform for live online learning, with a mission to transform the way people learn through technology. The Company’s purpose-built proprietary platform leverages technology, including AI, to connect learners of all ages to experts, delivering superior value on both sides of the network. Nerdy’s comprehensive learning destination provides learning experiences across 3,000+ subjects and multiple formats—including one-on-one instruction, small group classes, large format group classes, and adaptive self-study. Nerdy’s flagship business, Varsity Tutors, is one of the nation’s largest platforms for live online tutoring and classes. Its solutions are available directly to students and consumers, as well as through schools and other institutions. Learn more about Nerdy at https://www.nerdy.com/. The company publicly listed on the New York Stock Exchange in September 2021.
In this position, you will…
- Lead a team of remote engineers
- Collaborate with stakeholders and partners across teams and departments
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Come ready to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Be effective in a team environment working with fellow engineers, product management, and design
- Experience with React or similar UI frameworks (e.g. Vue, AngularJS)
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django)
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, Lambda, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Familiarity with implementing e-commerce solutions is beneficial
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback rich culture
- Remote friendly
- Work-life balance
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday (for your birthday!)
- Paid VTO ("Volunteer Time Off" to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members and free access to our Virtual School Day classes and [email protected] program
- Collaborative, and team-oriented work environment
- Try a free trial of our Live Learning Platform here: https://www.varsitytutors.com/freetrial
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. (INDHP)