Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack Ruby on Rails (USA REMOTE) at Turnitin
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.Job Description
Turnitin is looking for an experienced full-stack software engineer to help us expand and scale the Gradescope assessment platform. This is a high-impact role in which you’ll collaborate cross-functionally with the Engineering, Product, and Quality Assurance, and Support teams to implement end-to-end solutions for Gradescope’s rapidly growing user base.
We’re a small, collaborative engineering team who are passionate about improving assessment in higher education. We care deeply about our users and work proactively to make and keep them happy. We iterate often and wear multiple hats, always striving to deliver new value for our users. We take pride in building reliable, high-quality software that provides an intuitive and delightful user experience.
Gradescope is an online assessment platform that enables instructors to grade everything in one place, including paper-based exams, online homework, and programming projects. We use cutting-edge technology and features like flexible auto graders and AI-assisted answer grouping to make grading faster and more equitable. Gradescope was founded in 2014 at UC-Berkeley and joined Turnitin via an acquisition in October 2018.
What you’ll do:
Build new features and improve existing features on the Gradescope assessment platform
Work with our product and support teams, as well as directly with our customers, to understand users’ needs
Own the full software development lifecycle from design to release
Break down high-level projects into user stories and deliverables
Write readable, testable, maintainable code
Who we’re looking for:
- You’re product-minded, user-focused, and detail-oriented.
- You can work well in a small, cross-functional team, and communicate effectively with different business functions.
- You’re also able to work independently and make decisions with minimal supervision.You love to experiment and solve problems.
- You’re happy to question assumptions and to back your recommendations with well-formulated, data-driven analysis.
- You’re empathetic toward our users and your teammates. We’ve worked hard to create an inclusive and supportive team culture, and we’re excited to keep improving it.
- You welcome feedback and are always looking to learn and grow.
Essential Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge/Experience:
- At least five years of professional software development experience in Ruby on Rails
- Production experience with relational databases and SQL (we use PostgreSQL)
- Experience using distributed source control platforms (we use git and GitHub)Demonstrated ability to collaborate cross-functionally
Preferred Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge/Experience:
- Experience with mobile development, particularly in React Native
- Experience with data processing or analysisExperience writing unit and integration tests
- Familiarity with using Docker and AWS in development and deployment contexts
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.