Senior Software Engineer Front End (remote) at Ad Hoc (Salt Lake City, UT)
This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to design and engineer government systems that connect Veterans with services, bring affordable health care to millions of people, and support important programs like Head Start. And as we work to make critical government services intuitive, accessible, and human-centered, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology. If you thrive on change, want to help close the gap between consumer expectations and government services, and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s embraced.
The Federal Civilian business unit supports a wide range of customers that span the federal, commercial, and non-profit space. Our customers include the General Services Administration, Office of Personnel Management, PAN Foundation, Library of Congress, Social Security Administration, Health and Human Services and the USDA US Forest Service. We partner with these agencies to build new capabilities, deliver products, establish data as a strategic asset for informed decision-making, modernize legacy systems, and build the digital service infrastructure necessary to scale their mission impact by applying approaches proven in consumer technology.What you’ll do
As an Ad Hoc Front End Engineer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team, working closely with stakeholders, product managers, designers, and other engineers. We’re looking for an engineer to help our teams deliver the very best digital services for the public.
A Senior Software Engineer is capable of addressing ambiguity and solving complex problems without technical assistance or supervision (though this will generally be available). They have expert-level capabilities in at least one major technology stack. They mentor and guide more junior engineers through the development process, including debugging and new skills acquisition. They communicate with stakeholders, other teams, and partners to generate, assess, and execute on product development or integration requirements. Their experience in the field can be used to effectively evaluate and communicate tradeoffs between implementation complexity and other technical and non-technical costs.
- Shipping software that impacts the lives of millions of people.
- Using modern programming languages and frameworks to build scalable services that gracefully integrate with legacy systems.
- Working with our own APIs and third-party APIs to build amazing, effective digital services.
- Using unit and integration testing to ensure systems work as intended.
- Helping us continuously, iteratively improve.
- A deep understanding of the fundamental technologies of the front-end: HTML, CSS, that sort of thing.
- Experience integrating API endpoints that support our digital services as well as third-party services.
- A solid understanding of accessibility requirements, especially Section 508 and WCAG.
- Solid spelling, grammar, and communication skills.
- A commitment to agility, flexibility, and iteration.
- Experience and understanding of at least one agile methodology, such as Scrum, XP, or SAFe.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories. Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the U.S now and in the future without sponsorship.
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance.
- Some of our available roles are on federal contracts that require a degree or additional years of experience as a substitute.
- Our technical screening involves completing a homework assignment that is then graded blind to remove bias. We do not do tricky, unreliable whiteboarding tests. You can read more about our homework here.
Learn more about engineering at Ad Hoc.Benefits
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Vanguard 401K Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Continuing Education/Annual Conference Attendance Stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
In support of the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, and others like it across the country, Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $101,570 - $136,994 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.