Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our open API provides unprecedented flexibility and control for industry-leading companies such as Uber, Coinbase, J.P.Morgan, and Block, to manage payment operations in real-time.
Our team is a mix of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. Marqeta was named a 2022 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, highlighting our company culture and collaborative work environment. We are building a global team as diverse as the markets we serve and we’d love it if you joined us on our mission to change the way money moves.
We’re a remote-first company. You have the choice to work from wherever you’re happiest and most productive, whether that’s from home, a co-working space, or one of our four global offices, depending on your location. It’s uncommon for candidates to match all job requirements, but if you’re not far off, we want to hear from you.
Our Platform is built by developers for developers! Marqeta’s platform enables payment authorization decisioning, cardholder data security, instant card issuing, in-app provisioning directly to digital wallets, and real-time funding with our exclusive Just-in-Time (JIT) funding.
As a Backend Engineer, you will help us scale the technology as our business continues to grow while staying focused on shipping software that matters to our customers. You will help to innovate on various aspects of the platform used by our engineering organization to deliver high quality, highly scalable, and highly secure products to our customers
- Building and driving the technical vision for new development platforms used across Marqeta to deliver our software
- Card Fulfillment, Cases/Disputes Management, Tokenization, Commercial Payments, On-boarding, SDKs
- Building a modern credit-issuing service to power the next generation of payment innovators
- Multiplying the force of Marqeta’s product engineering by developing common foundational systems that are incorporated into all of Marqeta’s products
- Web applications & products around fraud
- Work with the organization and your product manager to build a long term technical vision for Marqeta’s software development platform.
- Bring a metrics-focused mindset to infrastructure development that helps focus the team on building tools that create meaningful, measurable velocity for Marqeta’s engineers.
- Build delightful platform tooling that helps Marqeta engineer’s focus on solving business problems, not infrastructure problems.
- Help the team prioritize and ship features in line with your team’s roadmap.
- Raise the skill sets of those around you and make Marqeta better through your presence. Mentor other engineers on the team, drawing on your experience to provide thoughtful direction.
- Apply and evangelize modern best practices in your software designs and implementations.
- We are hiring Software Engineers with 4+ years of engineering experience.
- We use Java, Python, & Go throughout the business but welcome experience in different programming languages.
- Experience in software delivery pipelines, CI/CD systems, and software deployment and orchestrations systems such as Kubernetes.
- Experience building scalable software platforms
- Experience with transactional RDBMS such as MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, or Oracle. Any experience with scaling large, transactional systems and data shading would be welcome.
- A strong passion to write code with great quality and test coverage.
- Strong communication skills - including the ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization.
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations.
- Experience with Payments
- Production Experience with modern engineering and cloud tools
- Having previously guided the transition of an organization from monolith-based development to microservices-based development
Benefits and Perks
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Employee insurance premiums paid 100% + coverage for dependents and pets
- Family forming benefits including fertility support and up to 20 weeks Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial coaching, and a Wellness stipend
- Monthly stipend to support our hybrid work model
- Equity in a publicly-traded company
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
Learn more about Marqeta on our Website, Twitter and LinkedIn.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant on any legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Our Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.#LI-Remote