Senior Software Engineer, DevOps at Caribou (Remote)
At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. Caribou does this by using technology to unlock low rates, and people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
Caribou is a hyper-growth company built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries. We have grown 20x in the past three years and raised a $115M Series C. We’re proud to be backed by a great team of investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for a Senior Software Engineer, DevOps to adopt DevOps culture and best-practices by being a part of the team that creates the foundational DevOps platform and automation tools for our rapidly growing organization. You’ll be helping mentor other engineers in DevOps best practices, while helping to define architectural choices and implementing applications that help build out our DevOps Platform As a Service (PaaS) offering to our internal customers. You’ll be using Kubernetes, IaC, and other Container-native based tools to create a full-fledged application offering to our internal customers. The Senior Software Engineer, DevOps will:
- Define deployment architectures for key platform components.
- Customize ArgoCD and Argo Workflows.
- Develop generic Kubernetes helm charts and operators.
- Write CLIs and APIs that will be used by developers.
- Implement Terraform and Google Config Connector Templates to allow us to provision resources according to best practices and at scale
- Participate in Refinement meetings.
- Provide technical guidance to DevOps-focused engineers embedded on teams to help them use the tools we create, and coach them on best practices.
- Coach teams on event driven architectures, Kubernetes and container based microservices.
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC; Denver, CO; Austin, TX. Alternatively, the Senior Software Engineer, DevOps may work remotely from a state where Caribou does business. However, this role will require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings. Caribou currently requires that all personnel and visitors to any of its offices are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. As a result, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this position (subject to any exemptions or accommodations due to medical or religious reasons).
You expertly balance solving challenges to enable feature development with investing in forward thinking platform technologies and techniques. This means bringing equal parts technical mastery and creative collaboration to the role. You have:
- 5+ years of work experience working in the domain and tech described above.
- Passionate software or cloud engineer with high standards of craftsmanship.
- Get excited by Kubernetes, containers and the cool architecture they enable.
- We’re a Linux shop, so you must be comfortable with Linux terminal.
- Collaborator that thrives in a social atmosphere and actively contributes to improving processes, workflows, and communication.
- Maker who doesn’t relent until finding a both elegant and practical solution to a problem, but still remembers to sleep.
- Enjoys being in the middle of things and balances with staying focused.
- Systems thinker who understands the value DevOps is creating a culture of developer-ownership through automation and infrastructure as code.
- Mentor who thrives teaching new languages, frameworks, and tools to others.
- Person who cares deeply that your work realizes positive outcomes for our world.
- You mess up because you're learning, and can help us learn to not make the same mistakes.
- Team oriented, succeed as a team.
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive compensation: $160k - $185K annual salary
- Equity in a high-growth company
- 401k savings program with 3% company contribution
- Generous paid time off including: 20 days accrued PTO per year, 14 annual company holidays, 16-weeks paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and volunteer day
- Robust wellness benefits including company-paid plans for health, dental, vision, mental health, disability and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits to suit your individual circumstances such as HSAs, FSAs, supplemental life and medical insurance, and pet insurance
- Up to $1,000 per year for eligible professional development expenses
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work. This helps us improve life for our customers, our communities and our team members.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Our Tech stack is not limited to this list but gives you a general flavor of our ecosystem: Rails, Kong, Airflow, Python, Node (NestJS), Typescript, GraphQL, Postgres, Google Cloud Platform, Argo CD & Workflows, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack, Prometheus, Grafana
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.