ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market just in the U.S. Businesspeople use us to find and order great food for meetings and events; restaurants and caterers use us to grow their catering business. We’re backed by world-class investors including Insight Partners, Iconiq Capital, and others, and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. COVID slammed us, but we responded by finding new customer segments and seizing the rare opportunity COVID offered: when in life does a very successful operation get a do-over? Come help us power Food For Work even better than we did it the first time.
The Senior Software Engineer for Developer Experience will work as part of our DevEx team, and brings a desire to build better tools and experiences for engineers as we improve our development platform. DevEx looks to improve all phases of the software development cycle. This is an excellent opportunity to work in numerous systems that provide immediate impact to our customers, ezCater engineers.
You might work to improve local development one week, build out a shared service or library the next, and then integrate an external tool that improves ezCater development processes after, all under the guidance of engineer feedback. This is an excellent fit for an engineer with broad interests along with an affinity for backend development.
What you will do:
- Improve local development by making it faster, easier to understand and by insulating engineers from the “incidental complexity” that distracts them from business goals
- Work with our SRE team to improve “fit and finish” from an engineer’s perspective within our jenkins-based CI/CD infrastructure
- Define, implement, and improve integrations with our internal “shared services” that allow other teams to achieve product goals e.g. feature flags, app configuration, our shared service dashboard
- Help operate and harden our shared production services
- Work with Security to build systems / policies that ensure the right choice is the easiest
- Help define and implement improvements to our kubernetes-based infrastructure so that engineers understand what and how more easily
- Build, improve, analyze and own the success of shared libraries that integrate with internal and external services
- Research and implement new internal and third-party systems that improve our engineers day-to-day operations
What you need to have:
- A platform mindset - you enjoy working on systems that improve development stories for other engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a drive to produce quality documentation
- A strong appetite for learning, and an ability to leverage what you learn to make our development environments better
- Appreciation for the craft of coding, with opinions derived from this appreciation
- A solid understanding of Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Postgresql, Redis, and other common services
- A solid understanding of development in POSIX-compatible environments like osx and linux. You might even *like* bash scripting
- A basic understanding of kubernetes and modern production environments
- A friendly, flexible and pragmatic disposition
- 4+ years of professional development experience
Additionally, a few nice-to-haves are:
- Experience with kubernetes development environments like skaffold, tilt.dev, or garden.io
- Familiarity with node, react and SPAsAn understanding of API first development, and experience with GraphQL and/or REST apis
- A grasp of the fundamentals of event streaming and pub/sub architectures
- A distributed systems mindset, and experience working with both service oriented architectures and monolithic applications
Starting Salary Range: $123,000 - $184,000
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, remote-hybrid work from our awesome Boston or Denver offices OR your home OR a mixture of both home and office (you choose!), a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) once we get back to our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.