We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Backend Platform team in the Infrastructure org is responsible for our backend systems(datastores, caching infrastructure, gateway, codebase) that powers Coinbase.com, our native applications and api.coinbase.com. Some of the other projects we work on are decomposition of our monolithic Rails application, stability and sharding of our MongoDB clusters, building our own service framework (CSF: Coinbase Service Framework) which is used to build new services at Coinbase. The mission of the team is to build the architectural foundation and tools that help teams within the company to build high quality applications.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Responsible for defining & implementing company wide datastore policies with a focus on reliability, throughput, scalability and security
- Devising standardized datastore platform for 80% of team needs - with a focus on safety, ease of use, automation and reliability
- Partnering with critical snowflake projects that have significant demand in throughput & latency to provide guidance and expertise while building custom data layers
- Build observability to detect and prevent performance issues
- Defining, implementing, monitoring and execution of standardized automated backup, recovery processes across the company. Managing rolling datastore version upgrades across various providers
- Partnering across security & infrastructure to devise standardized security policies for the datastore layer
- Partnering across infrastructure, security and architecture to ensure all types of sensitive data are cataloged and carefully monitored & enforced by automated processes
- Partnering with other engineering teams to make architectural decisions for data storage layers
- Building tools, infrastructure and automation to make database & schema changes easy to test, deploy and safe to roll back.
- Ensuring we rely on strong processes, automation, architecture and operational excellence to deliver reliable, available, high performant and secure datastores versus SPOF, heroism and expensive hardware/vendor relationships.
- Document your learnings/processes and use 1-2 automate for repeatable tasks
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- You have at least 5 years of experience in software engineering
- Strong expertise and development skills on building, scaling and supporting database technologies (mongoDB, Postgres, event streaming, caching)
- Experience with sharding NoSQL, SQL databases at scale
- Experience in backwards compatible approaches for data migrations
- Experience working with engineering teams and stakeholders across the business
- Ability to build tooling for common DBA processes
- Experience implementing cross-region replication
- Have solid knowledge of internals of one of the following datastores: MongoDb, Postgres
- Have a passion for stable and secure system management practices.
- Have experience working in distributed production environments
Nice to haves:
- Have experience with Infra as code, enabling product teams to work with databases and not running them
- Have experience with Ruby on Rails or Golang
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $175,100 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.