Senior Software Engineer - Content Platforms at Chewy (Minneapolis, MN)
Chewy is hiring a Senior/Lead Software Engineer, Java for our Content Platforms Platform team in Minneapolis, MN Or Boston , MA. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire business, influencing the vision and implementation of architecture, design and features for this critical business line (Private Label). As part of a dynamic team, this role offers a tremendous opportunity for professional growth in the leading online pet retailer in the US. The role will allow you to act as an individual contributor as part of a team of strong engineers building services for expanding content targeting across all key pages (PDP, ELP, account, navigation, NMA), launch competition Engine, improve workflows and delivery mechanism to allow for full operationalization of targeting as an evergreen strategy used to drive high value actions (HVA) and improve the overall site experience for Chewy customers. . The role will have tremendous visibility in the technology & business organization of Chewy
What you'll do:
- Write simple and sustainable code that reflects a constant understanding of the business impacts.
- Act in the capacity of a software engineer to actively participate in the definition, design, development, testing and implementation of software functionality using the Agile methodology
- Create or modify complex programs, modules, routines, scripts and data objects from a detailed design where efficiency, performance and reliability are critical
- Work with and advise both business and technology teams (internal and external) on how best to implement desired features and enhancements
- Ensure that technical solutions follow best practices, are reliable, are easily maintainable and are scalable under sustained load
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Collaborate to identify, isolate and resolve malfunctions related to software
- Conduct knowledge transition on solutions to the designated application support team(s)
- Create and evolve application documentation as required
- Operate in compliance with IT standards, policies, procedures, and best practices
- Play a critical role in developing a reliable and sustainable automated testing framework to improve the engineering quality and velocity.
- Work in an agile development environment and collaborate with multiple teams while experimenting with new technologies helping create solutions that puts Chewy on the cutting edge.
What you'll need:
- 10-12 years of experience as software engineer
- Strong knowledge of Java and other open source stack (spring, Kotlin)
- Working knowledge on React Framework
- 8 + years API development or engineering at scale
- Experience working across fully automated stacks in a CI/CD ecosystem
- Experience with distributed data stores at scale
- Strong Experience with lightweight middleware technologies, integration patterns, microservices
- Experience building applications using AWS services
- Experience in building event Streams with Kafka & No-SQL
- Hands-on experience leading the design, development, and deployment of business software at scale
- Be a hands-on Engineer spending significant percentage of their time writing code or debugging tricky issues.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals – object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills & a working knowledge of design patterns
- Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available systems.
- Experience with cloud & orchestration technologies (AWS Services, Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Ecommerce experience
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact [email protected]
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected]