Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.Are you passionate about Distributed Systems and Linux?
As a software engineer on the Compute Harpoon team, the software you write will control and manage tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure network. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services to power the hypervisor. This is a unique opportunity to deliver the best hosted infrastructure experience in the industry to millions of developers around the world.
If you are passionate about Linux, Distributed Systems, and systems programming this is the right job for you.What You'll Be Doing:
- Building the services that build and manage Droplets (our customers’ very own Virtual Private Servers) across all of our data centers
- Building tools and automation that operate at scale.
- Optimizing systems for performance, flexibility, availability, and maintainability
- Writing testable and manageable GO.
- 4+ years of software development experience with Distributed Systems or Virtualization
- Deep understanding and knowledge of Distributed Systems. Understanding of idempotency, Cap Theorem and its trade offs.
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 100s, if not 1000s of users
- Expertise and the willingness to learn one of the following languages: Go, Python, Perl, C/C++, Java, or Rust.
- Experience with any configuration management systems (Chef, Ansible and/or Puppet) is a plus but not required.
- Understanding of Linux administration and internals
- Strong opinions, weakly held
- Go, gRPC, MySQL, Chef, Git, Consul, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, Cadence/Temporal, docker
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This is a remote role
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!