Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Software Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
As a software engineer on the Client Foundations team you will be working with a cross-functional team of web, mobile, and backend engineers who are responsible for creating scalable systems to enable quality and velocity for our product engineering teams. You’ll specifically focus on standardizing our full-stack tooling and integrations for client-facing APIs and also leading the creation of a universal data layer with GraphQL.
- Lead development on our GraphQL platform and provide insight on best practices and tooling
- Standardizing and championing practices for client-facing API development, tooling, and documentation across engineering teams
- Provide a thoughtful and credible technical voice to support the team in making architectural decisions.
- Work with product engineering teams to establish areas of need and establish roadmaps and strategy to support
- General support of product engineering teams through Q&A, open office hours, and similar activities
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering
- A customer- and product-focused mindset, with the ability to make well-reasoned tradeoffs between speed and quality.
- Advanced proficiency in at least one strongly-typed language. We use mostly Scala on our backend and Typescript on the frontend – it’s great if you’re comfortable in those or if you’re willing to learn.
- Experience and familiarity with with defining API contracts and modeling data
- The ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in collaboration with peers.
- Experience establishing successful partnerships with key stakeholders and business owners.
- Experience with GraphQL at scale
- Experience with OpenAPI
- Experience with AWS
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.