Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about building high-performing teams and creating experiences that your peers will love.
The billing team at DigitalOcean focuses on keeping billing as simple, correct, and transparent as possible. We support a variety of complex billing models and financial instruments, such as discounts, free trials, and credits. We serve a passionate developer community that has grown to love our straightforward, easy to understand pricing that removes one more obstacle as they create and run their software in the cloud.
As a software engineer within the Billing Engineering Team you will be responsible for thinking about how to deal with complex billing information to create straightforward billing workflows for customers, as well as meet all compliance requirements. You will work with teams across DigitalOcean to develop billing solutions for new products and will be responsible for ensuring our systems scale and perform to meet the needs of DigitalOcean’s expanding business and customer base.What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing, writing and running the systems that provide an intuitive experience for developers as they engage DigitalOcean products and services
- Working with other engineers to build performant systems, that take into account testing, monitoring, alerting, compliance, to build pipelines and deploy to multiple systems
- Collaborating with other teams on how we can improve our systems to provide better visibility into dependencies
- Researching emerging tools, trends and methodologies and enhancing existing systems and processes to use them
- Working with interesting technologies such as Go, Ruby, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Sentry, Prometheus, and more
- A good concept of scale and a desire to help create and run highly reliable and performant distributed services
- A healthy respect for tests, and their relationship with distributed architectures and continuous integration
- An ability to work at multiple levels of the stack
- A fluent Linux shell user with good understanding of Linux operating systems
- Proficiency with the use of datastores like MySQL, Postgres and/or Redis
- Proficiency with REST and gRPC APIs
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python or Java
- Experience with logging/metrics tools, Docker, pub/sub event systems like Kafka, etc
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!