Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
As a senior level backend software engineer on our product engineering team, you'll get to lead a growing team at Credit Karma that works across various verticals (home, auto, personal loans, and credit cards). You'll impact a platform that is responsible for handling millions of members accessing their Credit Karma accounts, including registration, login, SMS 2FA, and account recovery. Further, you’ll help build product experiences that guide our members through the most challenging financial decision of their lifetime: buying their dream home. From finding a realtor, understanding loan options, and applying to get pre-approved, we help our members every step of the way. There is an enormous opportunity to build things at scale, move fast, and have a high impact across many different products, including our Core product, Auto, Mortgage and Assets.
What you’ll do:
- Contribute to our core services and data aggregation layer; meeting our need for scale, quality, and rapid iteration
- Build out high quality integrations with other internal services leveraging Credit Karma’s rich financial data set
- Work closely with our external partners to acquire new data to enrich our core user experience
- Develop automation throughout our stack; through our build & deployment processes, testing, monitoring, data pipeline, and beyond
- Work with front-end developers to complete end-to-end solutions and iterate rapidly as we experiment and learn
- Willingness to learn new skills as our product and technology footprint grows
What’s great about the role:
- Join an engineering team that is experiencing explosive growth and we are actively growing the team to improve and expand our product portfolio
- We are solving BIG problems that are fundamentally changing old industries
- Opportunity to meaningfully improve the lives of our members
- Fast-paced environment that operates like a ‘start-up’ within Credit Karma
Minimum Basic Requirements:
- 4-6 years experience in Scala, Java, and/or any functional language. We code primarily in Scala, so you’ll be excited to either ramp or continue with such
- 4-6 years experience in microservices architecture, messaging patterns, and deployment models
- Experience in API design and building robust and extendable client/server contracts
- Proficient in Scala or Java
- Experience with Kafka, RabbitMQ, Amazon SQS or similar data messaging platform
- Experience building highly integrated, large-scale, high-volume, and testable systems
- Experience with Kubernetes and containers technologies
- Ability to mentor and coach other team members
- A solid foundation in OOP, design patterns, algorithms, programming languages, networking and Linux operating systems.
- Expert understanding of web application internals and scalability at any tier.
- Proficiency in SQL, relational database schema design and ORM technologies & concepts.
- Strong understanding of deployment strategies and production infrastructure needs.
- Strong communication and leadership abilities.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum practices.
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field or software development training program
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance or similar ordinances.
COVID-19 update: Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a career at Credit Karma is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process. Moving forward, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to share proof of that status prior to their first day of onboarding. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Credit Karma may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies:
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)