Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Shopping Platform) at Cash App (St. Louis, MO or Remote)
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We've been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees' creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Shopping Platform is a new team with a focus on building core e-commerce shopping functionality (navigation, search, filtering, product feeds, storefronts, product pages, etc.) that helps users discover and buy the products they want on Cash app, Afterpay.com website & mobile app. We have a unique opportunity for a backend Software Engineer to join our team and make an immediate impact on our product by getting involved early on. As an engineer on our team, you will influence many aspects of our business through building software that powers the shopping experience and the content platform. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct, tangible impact on our product and work on projects that are pivotal to our team's success and our company's growth.
We are much more than our job descriptions, but here's where you will begin....
- Responsible for designing, building, and owning highly available services and infrastructure that enables commerce experience on Afterpay & Cash app
- Contribute to our backend services written in Kotlin, Ruby along with other modern stacks running on AWS/Kubernetes.
- Collaborate with product managers, data analysts, data scientists on planning and implementing frictionless user experiences of product features through microservices, APIs, web-apps.
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration.
Who are you?
Like us, you'll be deeply committed to delivering impactful outcomes for customers and passionate about our mission of economic empowerment for all.
- BA/MS/PhD in computer science or a related field.
- Experience in architecturing large scale distributed systems.
- 5-8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Boundless curiosity, persistence and a desire to get things done
- Experience in and passion for mentoring & coaching junior developers within teams.
- Enthusiastic about solving business problems with technology and can take ownership of an end-to-end solution.
- Possess an execution mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed.
Technologies we use and teach
- Java, Kotlin, Ruby
- MySQL, Dynamo, ElasticSearch, PostgreSQL
- gRPC and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFx, New Relic, Sumo Logic
We're working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we're doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page .
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.