Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
A bank for all of us.
About the Engineering Team
The Backend Engineering Team at Varo Bank is small but is growing rapidly. The Backend engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining engineering solutions that power Varo’s core banking, lending, authentication, risk, offers and marketplaces to achieve our goal to disrupt the banking industry and build products that help improve the financial wellbeing of our customers. You will get to work with new technology stacks, be part of a great and diverse workplace, and improve the financial lives of others. In our Engineering team we value personal growth, initiative and ownership, innovation, collaboration, and the importance of thinking like an engineer while building customer-first products.
As Senior Software Engineer you'll...
- Partner with the engineering team to help design, build and evolve the core banking/lending infrastructure for a bank for all of us
- Design and build scalable distributed solutions that our customers can build their lives around
- Work cross-functionally with various engineering and product teams to build the next-generation banking/lending platform
- Work projects from ideation to creation with a customer-first mindset
- Participate in code reviews to main code quality and distribute knowledge
- Work on large projects from ideation to delivery
- Be involved in the technical strategy and with a drive to improve products, infrastructure, processes, or organizations
- Write well-designed, well-tested, readable and maintainable code
You'll have the required experience...
- 3+ years industry experience in software development preferably JAVA
- Understanding of microservices and event-driven programming
- Experience in building public and internal APIs
- Experience in strong consistency in a distributed environment, transactional databases and caching systems
- Understanding of the software security practices
- Experience with unit and integration testing
- Experience with scalable, distributed systems with a test first approach
- Basic understanding with financial systems (banking, lending, payments) will catch our attention
- You love making complicated things, simple
- Knowledge of databases, caching, consistency etc
Technologies we use...
- Java, Kotlin
- Spring, Spring Boot and Hibernate.
- AWS - EKS, S3, SNS, SQS, KMS
- PostgreSQL, Kafka, Airflow, Kubernetes, Istio
- Gradle, Maven, Jenkins, Git
- Jira, Confluence
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected] with the pertinent information and contact information.
Read Full Job Description