We are on a mission to empower innovators to access the global employment ecosystem and connect the world's employers under a single API. To do this, we're looking for individuals who think about problems holistically and in-depth, who are relentlessly curious, self-starters, and determined to drive ideas from inception through to completion.
Finch is a Series A Y Combinator company and backed by a fantastic set of firms, angels, and our developers including General Catalyst, Menlo Ventures, Homebrew, BoxGroup, YCombinator, Charley (1st business hire at Plaid), Sima (ex-Head of Biz Dev at Plaid), Henrique + Pedro (co-CEOs at Brex), Jeff + Wayne (co-CEOs at Digits), Immad (CEO at Mercury), Sam (CEO at Vouch Insurance), Karim (CTO at Ramp), and more.
About Our Team
We're a team of problem solvers who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We value velocity, curiosity, empathy, and diverse perspectives. Everyone on the team is excited about the scope of the problems we address and the potential impact our work can have on the global workforce. We realize that the value we provide comes with great responsibilities, and therefore make security and privacy our highest priorities.
We come from a diverse set of backgrounds and each member brings different skills to the group. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns.
Are you a Senior Backend Engineer with experience building API integrations? For this role, we are seeking individuals with strong, backend software engineering skills, but also with a curiosity for systems, a proclivity for end-to-end ownership of features, a “get it done” attitude, and high integrity. We believe that someone with this combination will unlock new ideas and solutions for our product and thrive in our team. This means being able to work across the entire stack when needed, working with partners, and setting the long-term technical direction for new products.
What You Will Do
- Distill the complexities of various payroll systems into a single simple API that developers can integrate with minimal effort
- Use best-in-class software development practices (unit tests, integration tests, performance tests, monitoring, detailed functional specification, and test plans) to ensure our systems remain highly reliable and fault-tolerant.
- Prototype new features to assess the feasibility and explore new business ideas
- Communicate ideas and specifications through detailed, precise writing
- Commit on your first day, and deploy code continuously
- Work with our product ops, design, and sales functions
- Support developers at customer companies
- Mentor junior engineers
- Influence the culture, values, and processes of a growing engineering team
- Hire, cultivate, and mentor new engineers (and other team members) as they join the team.
Who You Are
- 7+ years of experience as an individual contributor using modern programming languages or node.js
- Have a strong demonstrated ability to ship high-quality products, both at work and outside of work. We love engineers that build side-projects or contribute to open-source repos.
- A passion for trying out APIs and a taste for good developer experience.
- Able to think through customer requirements and prioritize what is a must-have, nice-to-have, or irrelevant.
- Have a strong technical skillset but also the willingness and ability to take over tasks outside your core competency.
Nice to Haves
- Previous founding experience.
- Experience working at an API company or on an external facing API team.
- An itch to start a company in the future. We will invest in you!
- Work from home budget
- Health/Dental/Vision premiums covered
- Unlimited vacation policy (with mandatory minimums)
- Paid lunches
- Wellness stipend
- Book and education budget
- Semester offsite company trips
Finch is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.