PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
As a member of the Service Platform Operations SRE team, you will carry the responsibility of keeping core user experiences on the platform available, resilient and high performing, while continually enabling our service teams to deliver new and exciting product and technical features. Our team strives to iteratively learn, improve and automate our processes every single day, which continually raises the bar for operational excellence within our organization. You will be empowered to drive and lead technical initiatives on our team, helping identify and proactivity drive improvements in both process and technology supporting millions of users.Responsibilities:
As a Senior SRE your responsibilities will include hands-on application management and production support of core experience related services within an AWS cloud environment, ensuring availability, resiliency, scalability and high performance. You will work side by side with our service development teams to provision, automate and ensure the production readiness of all new services and features introduced.
Other responsibilities include...
- Integrate and automate the configuration and ongoing operations of AWS managed services.
- Identify areas for operational process improvement and automation. Drive the hands-on development of scripts and tools to automate these processes within our environment.
- Increase observability on our platform by implementing robust monitoring and alerting patterns across our services. Develop rich, informative dashboards / reports on our services that provide valuable insight and meaningful alerting to drive down the MTTD and MTTR on platform incidents.
- Collaborate and partner with other SRE teams that specialize in areas such as data services, data platform, and platform hosting to inspire changes and ensure optimal end-to-end system performance and resiliency across all back-end services within PlayStation.
- Iteratively drive performance and capacity validation analysis for our services. Utilize AWS patterns and technologies such as spot instances, dynamic auto-scaling and EKS to optimize resource usage and AWS spend.
- Review service flows and architecture to influence resiliency, availability and scalability for all services within our platform
- Provide rotational on-call support where you’ll respond, detect, triage and resolve production incidents.
- Conduct, document and present root cause analysis documents to share incident insights and findings with our broader engineering organization.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical area.
- 5+ years hands-on AWS experience – integrating, developing and managing applications.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in a large scale and/or critical production, software environment
- 5+ years of hands-on software engineering or supporting/maintaining software systems experience (Java and/or c++ services)
- 3+ years of experience with building automation into daily operational processes through one or more programming languages (preferably Python or Go).
- Strong experience in configuring, tuning and automating operational responsibilities for AWS managed data services including RDS, DynamoDB and Elasticache
- Experience with application monitoring and log management tools (ie: DataDog, CloudWatch, Splunk)
- Experience with container technologies and orchestration (ie: Docker, Kubernetes, EKS, Fargate)
- Hands-on experience in triaging and tuning Java cloud applications with integration into AWS managed services
- Proven understanding of AWS networking systems and protocols (ie: ALB, R53, API-Gateway, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, DNS)
- Experience with developing or supporting Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery pipelines (CI/CD)
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.