Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), Mapping at Argo AI (Pittsburgh, PA)
Who we are:
Argo AI is a global self-driving products and services company on a mission to make the world’s streets and roadways safe, accessible, and useful for all. Our technology is built to enable commercial services for autonomous delivery and ridesharing in cities.
With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s top consumer brands, we’re working block by block, city by city to empower people and businesses to be more successful. We’re individuals driven by strong values to solve complex problems together. Come join us to reimagine the human journey.
Meet the team:
At Argo AI, the mapping team builds and maintains the mapping pipeline and a suite of services and tools that interact with our maps. A huge amount of data collected with multiple sensors gets processed by our pipeline and eventually becomes the High Definition map that is used by the autonomous vehicles.
As a Site Reliability Engineer on the team, you will be responsible for helping to build and run these mission critical systems. Through the implementation of monitoring and automation, you will constantly ensure the health, reliability, scalability, and performance of the service.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee, lead and drive to completion projects for backend systems to build maps for our growing fleet of autonomous vehicles
- Design scalable solutions for big-data storage and retrieval on AWS using Kubernetes, Airflow and other cloud technologies
- Monitor and maintain mission-critical production services to ensure maximum uptime
- Document actions to build a comprehensive library of runbooks, which will act as a knowledge base and foundation for automation
- Scale the reliability and velocity of our systems and processes through increased automation
- Participate in an on-call rotation and culture of continuous improvement through blameless postmortems
What you'll need to succeed:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Fundamental understanding of Linux operating system internals, TCP/IP networking, and storage subsystems
- Track record of scaling and securing services in the cloud (AWS, GCP) or cloud native environments
- Driven to leverage infrastructure-as-code principles to automate the creation of infrastructure resources (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Production experience with Postgres and Redis
- Experience authoring and maintaining Java, Python and Node.js codebases
- Demonstrated ability to debug issues end-to-end, from browser-based applications, through corresponding backend services
- Understanding of engineering design limitations and ability to provide guidance to teams to scale their services to achieve desired performance within budget
- A focus on increasing service reliability through defining and adhering to SLOs
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a diverse and distributed team
Nice to have:
- Experience deploying and maintaining Airflow clusters
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program
- Paid medical leave
- 30 day paid sabbatical upon 5 years of employment
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiative
Argo AI was founded in 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,700-person strong company with strategic partnerships with some of the world’s leading consumer brands. With global headquarters in Pittsburgh, we operate in eight cities across the U.S. and Germany in areas where self-driving technology can have the biggest impact on improving safety, traffic, and transportation equity.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.