Senior Site Reliability Engineer, Observability at Cisco Meraki (San Francisco, CA or Remote)
The Meraki cloud supports millions of customer devices from 8 data centers around the world. Meraki’s customer base has grown by a factor of 2-3 every year, serving billions of HTTP requests per day globally. Our customers depend on our products to run their critical infrastructure of network switches, security appliances, wireless APs and security cameras.
As SREs at Meraki, we are responsible for building and growing the cloud that supports these customers and their networks. As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer on the Observability team you will lead the design, development and operation of large-scale, secure observability systems that make sure our services stay online and performant. We're a team of passionate software engineers that value quality and customer experience. Our team is based in the US and EMEA, and we embrace hybrid and remote work.Examples of projects our team works on:
- Design, deploy and scale our Prometheus architecture to handle 100+ million active series and beyond.
- Deploy and operate large, high-performance ElasticSearch clusters holding 10-2000+TB of data.
- Deploy and grow high-throughput data pipelines built on Kafka, handling hundreds of thousands of events per second.
- Design and build an alerting system that allows engineering teams to construct alerts from multiple data sources and alerting workflows.
- Write libraries and APIs that give engineers self-service access to our monitoring, logging, and other observability systems.
- Use Terraform to deploy public and private cloud infrastructure.
- Have 5+ years experience designing, deploying and operating mid to large size distributed systems on VMs or bare metal machines running Linux (we run Debian and Ubuntu).
- Have 2+ years experience developing with languages like Ruby, Python, Go, Scala, or Bash.
- Are excited by the challenge of solving difficult problems in large distributed systems that deal with huge amounts of data.
- Want to work on highly autonomous team that cares deeply about quality and customer experience.
- Are curious, learn fast and feel comfortable diving into unfamiliar code and systems to solve problems.
- Understand the value of observability and can work with other teams to help them better monitor their services.
- Are willing to be part of a production on-call rotation.
- Have direct experience with the following technologies (or similar): Elasticsearch Logstash Kibana (ELK) stack, Kafka, Prometheus/Thanos/Cortex, Graphite, Ansible, Terraform, Consul.
Keywords: Observability, Monitoring, SRE, Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps, ElasticSearch, Logstash, Kibana, ELK, Grafana, Graphite, Prometheus, Kafka, Snowflake, Ansible, Ruby, Terraform, Consul. #LI-Remote
Cisco requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated or have an approved religious or medical accommodation. Candidates accepting an offer must provide proof of vaccination status on their first day. If someone anticipates requesting an accommodation for this requirement, they must receive approval before the start date. Candidates receiving an offer will receive additional information about the accommodation process at the time of the offer. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Cisco's vaccination policy.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.