In Meraki SRE we build the highly scalable cloud infrastructure that supports millions of Meraki devices across the world. Meraki’s customer base has grown by a factor of 2-3 every year, serving more than 8 billion HTTP requests per day across eight data centers! Our customers depend on our products to run their critical infrastructure of network switches, security appliances, wireless APs and security cameras.
In this role you will join the Infrastructure SRE team, based out of our offices in Sydney, San Francisco and London, and responsible for the storage, security, and virtualisation technologies underpinning Meraki's cloud in 10 datacenters around the world. Automation, virtualisation, and a keen eye for technical debt is key: Meraki's high growth rate means our processes must be automatic and efficient; never driven manually.
You will design and develop the global infrastructure which supports our private cloud: this might mean deploying new virtualisation technologies at huge scale, writing code to improve our provisioning and decommissioning workflows, or building models to predict business demand. You will also work closely with our vendors, and our internal Datacenter Operations team to coordinate hands on work. We embrace the *nix way, automate away tedious tasks and work almost entirely with infrastructure-as-code.Projects include:
- Designing and deploying very large virtualisation environments that scale, using VMWare and OpenStack.
- Designing tooling that lets teams run seamlessly between our private cloud and AWS.
- Building an automated service lifecycle platform to coordinate the full lifecycle of all infrastructure (server, storage, network and site).
- Deploying comprehensive monitoring tools that provide insight into the performance and reliability of our infrastructure.
- Automating testing infrastructure to accelerate the velocity at which we can deploy changes.
- This role is to support a specific customer, and there is a 24/7 on-call requirement as part of a rotation. You will work with your team to deliver technical projects to support the wider business, while spending a portion of your time working cross-team to support this critical customer.
- 5+ years of work experience in Site Reliability, Infrastructure, or Software Engineering - particularly working with cloud systems, networking, distributed systems, or data processing frameworks.
- Have experience designing and planning large deployments of VMWare or OpenStack.
- Script or code with 1-2 languages like Ruby, Scala, Python or Bash. You are comfortable digging into other people’s source code (even if you don't know the language) in search of the root cause of a problem. You instinctively write code to deploy and automate infrastructure.
- Have experience working on production systems where you responded to issues to minimize customer downtime. This role requires being part of an on-call rotation.
- Believe in the Unix way. You build large systems out of small components that each do one job and do it well. We run Debian and Ubuntu.
- Interesting personal projects or contributions to open-source projects
- A BS/MS/Ph.D in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a STEM field
Cisco requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated or have an approved religious or medical accommodation. Candidates accepting an offer must provide proof of vaccination status on their first day. If someone anticipates requesting an accommodation for this requirement, they must receive approval before the start date. Candidates receiving an offer will receive additional information about the accommodation process at the time of the offer. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Cisco's vaccination policy.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.