Senior Security Engineer, Incident Response at Carvana (Phoenix, AZ)
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
For more information on Carvana and our mission, sneak a peek at our company introduction video or learn more about what it’s like to work here from the people that already do.
About the team and position
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Security Engineer, Information Security to join our internal Security Operations Team that is responsible for monitoring, detecting, and reporting cyber threats directed against our information assets. This position will also be responsible for threat hunting and executing on various security projects and initiatives aimed at improving our overall security posture.
What you’ll be doing
- Protect enterprise systems and information by promptly responding to security threats and incidents, acting individually and as part of a team to resolve issues.
- Ensure that security logs, signatures, and indicators of compromise (IOCs) are being collected from information assets. In addition, ensure that required agent security based tools are deployed to support incident response activities.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to ensure that appropriate logs are being sent to SIEM for security monitoring and threat detection.
- Identify, define, and configure new SIEM detections using MITRE ATT&CK framework to improve detection and response capability of the incident response team.
- Work closely with the Security Operations Team to tune or develop solutions that provide them with essential information and capabilities to support security monitoring and incident response.
- Partner with the Offensive Security team to ensure that the Security Operations Team has the appropriate detection for trusted insiders that are executing on penetration tests or adversial emulations.
- Execute, participate, and provide subject matter expertise on various security initiatives and projects to improve the overall security posture.
- Be an integral member of projects teams that is responsible for the secure architecture of Carvana systems.
- Consult and provide security requirements and recommendations for ongoing projects and new system implementations.
- Take a risk based approach at reviewing systems or applications that do not meet security requirements or security policies and writing security exceptions when required.
- Resolve security related tasks from a ticketing queue.
- Occasionally serve as Tier 3 support for alerts that are monitored by the Security Operations Center.
- Work with vendors to bring solutions to resolve current security issues and\or develop technical solutions to mitigate security vulnerabilities and automate tasks.
- Create and/or document standards and operating procedures.
- Train junior members and members of other teams on Information Security.
- Stay abreast of security news that could have an impact on the security of Carvana and offer solutions to mitigate potential risks.
What you should have
- 5+ years of enterprise security engineering experience.
- 5+ years of experience supporting a growth company using enterprise security tools and technologies.
- Experience working in a Security Operations Center as an Analyst and/or Engineer.
- Deep technical expertise in incident response, threat detection, and threat hunting.
- Hands-on experience with anti-virus software, intrusion detection systems, next generation firewalls, SIEMs, content filtering and endpoint management software.
- Strong understanding of network principles, topography, protocols, ports, methods, etc.
- Proven experience in securing a complex, diverse, distributed technology footprint.
- Technical proficiency in MITRE ATT&CK framework and strong understanding of current attack vectors and mitigation approaches.
- Exposure and demonstrate competency in implementing various security technologies to improve detection, response, and protection capability.
- Participation in developing a security program using the NIST CSF framework.
- Experience in one or more scripting languages.
It would be great if you also had
- Experience with authentication methods, Kerberos, SAML, OAuth, etc.
- Experience in working in a highly matrixed organization.
- Industry specific certification (e.g. CISSP, GCIH, CISM, etc.).
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to training and conference opportunities as well as great on-the-job training.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Requires excellent visual acuity and manual dexterity.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.