Senior Robotics and Controls Engineer at Magna International (Detroit, MI)
Job Number: 53903
Group: Magna Corporate
Division: Magna Services of America (Troy Office)
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
Location: TROY, AURORA, Weikersdorf
At Magna, we create technology that disrupts the industry and solves big problems for consumers, our customers, and the world around us. We're the only mobility technology company and supplier with complete expertise across the entire vehicle.
We are committed to quality and continuous improvement because our products impact millions of people every day. But we're more than what we make. We are a group of entrepreneurial-minded people whose collective expertise gives us a competitive advantage. World Class Manufacturing is a journey and it's our talented people who lead us on this journey.
Magna Corporate R&D is seeking a talented, visionary, and self-motivated Senior Robotics and Controls Engineer to be a part of the Advanced Robotics Group, which creates and deploys novel robotic automation solutions for manufacturing and the factory of the future.
- Develop novel closed-loop controls algorithms and software that can be broadly applied to a variety of advanced robotics applications in industrial manufacturing and the factory of the future. For example, advanced motion planning and closed-loop controls of multi-axis robots, multi-DOF control of multi-finger dexterous robotic grippers for next generation robotic systems.
- Develop an extensible high-fidelity simulation ecosystem with a flexible interface for physics-based and data-based modeling, controls development and testing, and close the sim to real gap.
- Evaluate, identify and implement improvements to software system designs.
- Interface with cross-functional engineering, product management, and/or program management to drive new product development programs from concept to production.
- Assist root cause analysis and corrective action for software components and products, and warranty issues.
- Mentor, instruct, and lead with other engineers.
- Create and strive for a positive work environment by demonstrating and sharing functional and technical knowledge.
- Promote and seek excellence in all aspects of the business.
- Treat everyone with dignity, trust, and respect.
- Perform any other assignments from time-to-time as management so directs.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical or Mechanical engineering with a focus on closed-loop controls, linear and nonlinear control theory, robotics, or related fields; Master's degree is preferred
- Proficiency in C++, Python and ROS.
- Strong experience in physics-based simulation platforms such as MuJoCo, PyBullet, Drake, or similar.
- Strong experience classical control theory, nonlinear systems and control, multi-body dynamic systems, state estimation, mathematical optimization, reinforcement learning.
- Broad exposure to embedded control systems, mechanical, and electrical design and development practices including the common engineering tools used for such efforts.
- Experience in industrial robotic control systems and the interfaces.
- Experience in hardware and software system integration, such as integration of new sensors, actuators and/or robotic manipulator into an existing system.
- Experience in requirements gathering and writing specifications as they relate to both functionality and performance of software
Special Knowledge / Skills
- Ability to work on challenging assignments with aggressive schedules
- Understanding of PLC, industrial automation networking protocols and technologies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Physical Demands / Work Environment
- Responsible for working in compliance with the provisions of the Health and Safety Act as well as any rules or standards otherwise specified by OSHA or MIOSHA or any other government regulations. Expected to exercise caution in all work activities and report any unsafe conditions, injuries, or near misses to the appropriate supervisor.
- Domestic and international travel up to 10% of the time.
Awareness. Unity. Empowerment.
At Magna, we believe a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That's why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.
Nearest Major Market: Troy
Nearest Secondary Market: Detroit