Senior Release Engineer at Cisco Meraki (San Francisco, CA or Remote)
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
The Developer Tools team at Meraki engineers tools, automation and processes that facilitate developers’ efficiency. We support the entire software development lifecycle (SDLC), including core developer tools and environments, build tools, code review, identity management, source version control, artifact management, CI/CD pipelines, education, and documentation. Our customers are all engineers at Meraki.
We believe tools magnify our impact, multiply our collaboration, and free us to move fast. We take pride in creating a simple and powerful environment where engineers can easily, safely, and confidently experiment on and build great products. We are passionate about building automated tools and extensible frameworks that facilitate the entire development and release lifecycle.
As a Release Engineer on the Developer Tools team you will be implementing build automation, packaging and containerization solutions, end-to-end CI/CD pipeline for automatic deployment for all products. You will also be responsible for coordinating and performing the product releases into Meraki’s Federal and PCI environments.
Reliability, performance and developer experience are critical factors to our CI/CD pipelines which you will help monitor, operate, and improve.
As SREs at Meraki we are responsible for building and scaling the cloud that supports millions of Meraki devices across the world. Meraki’s customer base has grown by a factor of 2-3 every year, serving more than 4 billion HTTP requests per day across eight datacentres. Our customers depend on our products to run their critical infrastructure of network switches, security appliances, wireless APs and security cameras. We embrace the *nix way, automate away tedious tasks and build infrastructure as code.
This role is to support a specific set of customers, and there is a 24/7 on-call requirement as part of a rotation. You will work with your team to deliver technical projects to support the wider business, while spending a portion of your time working cross-team to support these highly compliant environments.Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and oversee application releases into Meraki’s secure and certified environments
- Perform required gating activities to ensure successful deployments and environment availability
- Communicate release information effectively to team members and release stakeholders
- Build and/or maintain tools to automate the processes that introduce change to the environment
- Build and/or maintain tools to automate the generation of reports for meeting our compliance needs
- Assist with complex problem resolution and debugging
- Offer improvements for processes and procedures for development teams to utilize when releasing applications, ensuring the stability and integrity of our environments
- Practice sustainable incident response (on call rotation) and blameless postmortems
- Have a software development background with 5+ years of experience coding with languages like Ruby, Scala, Python.
- Experience with modern Unix/Linux operating systems/distributions.
- Experience in automating release, continuous integration/deployment system, and relevant tools (e.g. Git, Gitlab, Github, Jenkins, Packer, Nexus, Artifactory, Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, Travis CI, etc)
- Ability to quickly learn new and existing technologies
- A deep passion for SRE/DevOps and running highly resilient/automated systems.
- Experience with creating, supporting and releasing to Federal/PCI environments is a plus.
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the U.S., unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.