Senior PHP/CMS Developer - Durham, NC (On-Site, Remote, or Hybrid) at Viget (Raleigh, NC)
| Raleigh-Durham, NC
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:21 p.m. (CST) on Monday, October 24, 2022
Viget is an independent digital agency that has been branding, designing, and building digital products and platforms since 1999. Our culture is ideal for lifelong learners seeking a variety of meaningful work, supportive collaboration with positive teammates, and a healthy work/life balance. We work from four sweet offices (hybrid) and remote locations throughout the U.S., and utilize a proven cadence of virtual and in-person meetings and retreats to build comradery and stay connected. We love our team.
If you join our industry-leading development team as a Senior PHP/CMS Developer, you can expect to work on projects that will challenge you to learn and grow as a developer. You'll be working alongside project managers, user experience designers, and other developers to collaborate with our clients from major brands to world-changing nonprofits to emerging startups and tech leaders. Viget == variety.
Our PHP/CMS Developers work independently or alongside other developers to create rich and engaging content-driven sites and applications. As a PHP/CMS Developer, you will be responsible for the configuration, architecture, custom development, and support of WordPress sites developed by you and the Platform Development team. You will frequently work with a UI developer who is responsible for the visual and interactive layer of the site. PHP proficiency is a must and candidates should have experience working with WordPress (experience with other platforms, like Craft, is a plus) and utilize modern PHP best practices, like dependency management with Composer and unit testing.
Senior developers at Viget have the experience needed to be leaders on their projects, mentors to others, and influencers within the company. While continuing to deepen their individual expertise, they need to be equally confident leading a pairing session with another developer, collaborating with a project manager on the timeline and features for a project, and holding their own in a client meeting. Senior developers provide vision and stability on the complex technical projects they help lead.
To get a feel for how we think and what we're learning about, read our tech articles, check out code.viget.com, or jump straight to our projects on Github.
Our PHP/CMS Developers:
- Find joy in architecting and extending WordPress and getting under the hood to understand how it works.
- Have knowledge of Craft or other modern CMS platforms.
- Are experts in PHP and may have knowledge of other back-end languages and frameworks, like Laravel.
- Have a firm grasp of database design and how to optimize queries for performance.
- Can work with our Development Operations (DevOps) director to handle server configuration and deployments.
- Enjoy working with others in our collaborative environment that balances team-wide communication (e.g., standups, Slack discussions, code review), occasional pair programming sessions, and frequent blocks of focused, uninterrupted time for independent work.
- Listen, collaborate, and communicate exceptionally well.
In a given week, our PHP/CMS Developers might be:
- Configuring WordPress data architecture and integrating data into templates to pass along to a UI developer.
- Working with one of our technical directors to plan out functionality and integrations for a large WordPress project.
- Building a plugin that interacts with a third-party SSO (or other service) to tie login functionality into an application.
- Planning a migration that will bring content into WordPress from a client's existing CMS.
- Debugging a tricky content query performance issue and writing a fix or passing along recommendations to another developer.
- Reviewing pull requests from other developers on the same project or across projects. We view PR reviews as opportunities to practice our "always learning and teaching" ethos.
- Attending team meetings that are designed for sharing knowledge, surfacing concerns, and generally bringing together a group that is usually working separately across many projects.
Everyone at Viget:
- Embodies our core values of integrity, work ethic, collaboration, creativity, and lifelong learning.
- Values mentorship, learning, and sharing knowledge.
- Writes and speaks clearly and effectively when collaborating with teammates and clients.
- Believes in and supports our commitment to building a diverse and inclusive company.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Annual base salary of $95,000 - $125,000 (senior) per year depending on location, skills, and experience
- Additional comp available via spot performance bonuses, sales referrals, and new hire referrals
- 401(k) retirement plan matching up to 4%
- 100% company-paid health and dental coverage for you and your family
- Stipends for wellness (apps, gyms, etc.) and connectivity (mobile phone or home internet)
- 15 days PTO (20 after 2 years), 9 paid holidays, and 2 community service days per year
- Up to $2,000/year in conference and training (professional development) budget
How to Apply:
Introduce yourself using this application form. Our recruiters will respond typically within a day or two.
Please attach your resume and submit a cover letter discussing why you want to work at Viget, and how your previous experience relates to the position described. Examples of your previous work are also much appreciated. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications and are actively seeking people from underrepresented groups to join our team.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about us on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.
Viget is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where all of us feel valued and heard. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, socioeconomic status, religion, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you have any questions or need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected].
Experience level: Senior
More Information on Viget
Viget operates in the Marketing Tech industry. The company is located in Falls Church, VA, Durham, NC, Chattanooga, TN and Boulder, CO. Viget was founded in 1999. It has 70 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Remote work program. To see all jobs at Viget, click here.
Read Full Job Description