Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an unmanned traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Role:
All you want to do is build, break, and fix stuff in the physical world? Are you passionate about the future of transportation, creative mechanical design, and pushing the envelope of what’s possible? If you answered “yes” to these questions, this may be the role for you!
Wing is looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our Mechanical Design team based in Palo Alto, CA.
The position seeks highly-motivated individuals who enjoy working in a highly dynamic team environment. The successful candidate is able to demonstrate a broad skill set based on experience with driving innovative products from concept, through prototyping and design, all the way to manufacturing. We’re looking for people who are intrinsically driven to solve hard problems with stunningly simple solutions, move fast, and are highly adaptive.
What You’ll Do:
- Brainstorm creative solutions to mechanical, manufacturing, and mechatronic problems
- Design elements of the aircraft and/or the ground support infrastructure in CAD
- Build prototypes
- Devise quick tests and proof of concepts
- Reduce complexity by pushing for simple and elegant designs
- Own the development of multiple subsystems, incl. team leadership if required
- Strive for data-driven decisions that are well understood and communicated throughout the team
- Interface tightly with manufacturing and other teams on Wing
- Collaborate with external vendors
What You'll Need:
- BSc/MSc in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Aerospace, or equivalent with 5+ years of experience
- Proficient in CAD software and EPDM (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience in designing and analyzing innovative and robust mechanical/mechatronic systems
- Experience designing tightly integrated electronics enclosures and thermal solutions
- Experience with CNC, sheet metal, and rapid prototyping fabrication
- Practical knowledge of how to quickly prototype and test designs as well as experience with high-volume production manufacturing methods like injection molding or die casting
- Experience in driving fast development cycles with vendors locally and abroad
- Ability to work independently, communicate effectively across functional teams, navigate complex trade spaces, and to keep technical projects with tight timelines on track
- Strives in fast paced environment, adapts quickly to new requirements
- Big plus for portfolios describing personal or professional projects which include challenging problems and process by which they were solved
- Knowledge in Python, Matlab or equivalent scripting/scientific programming languages is a big plus
- Experience with weight optimized structure design, finite element analysis, and thermal modeling
- Strong GD&T drawing expertise
- Deeply loves to make things and can showcase a portfolio of unique design projects (work or hobby)
- Passion for aviation