Senior Manager, Software & Inverter/ECU Engineering at Magna International (Detroit, MI)
Group: Magna Powertrain
Division: EC Troy
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
Advancing mobility. Making automotive technology that is smarter, cleaner, and safer, while still fun to drive. And making it for everyone. That's what we're passionate about at Magna Powertrain. We do it by creating world-class powertrain solutions for conventional, hybrid, and pure electric vehicles. We're making electrification more than a buzzword, we're bringing it to the road. Innovation is what drives us and we drive innovation. Dream big and create the future of mobility at Magna Powertrain.
Mission of the Position
We are looking for a talented Senior Manager who has a demonstrated track record leading a dynamic team looking to push boundaries, innovate, and is passionate about being a part of the transformation from traditional powertrains to eMobility.
Responsible for leading the Software Engineering & Inverter / ECU Engineering Departments.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Magna Powertrain Troy Software & Inverter/ECU Engineering Team which includes the Software Development (base software and application software), Software Test, Power Electronic Design, and Electronic Design - Controls team(s).
- Provide guidance, mentorship and technical input to direct reports and other respective functional managers.
- Lead the development and validation of software using Agile methodology to ensure a consistent and efficient development process.
- Lead the development and validation for the detailed design and application of power electronics, specifically inverters, as well as ECUs, and Sensors.
- Drive the development of new technologies, improve quality, and reduce development time and cost.
- Ensure hardware and software testing capabilities exist for the successful product validation.
- Promote, encourage, and facilitate a professional, collaborative project culture amongst cross functional engineering teams.
- Ensure, where possible, reuse of technology to drive engineering development costs down.
- Drive collaboration with various global engineering sites to facilitate standardization and resource sharing.
Key Responsibilities Continued
- Ensure adequate resources are assigned and balanced as needed for projects including the utilization of resources in best cost countries.
- Manage all interfaces and representation, internally and externally of the Software & Inverter/ECU Engineering Teams.
- Manage customer and internal interfaces to the product engineering organization.
- Drive continuous organization management and documentation of teams (high flexibility and opportunity for decision-making).
- Ensure the team receives and correctly interprets the defined work packages and targets, and continuously tracks and updates target achievement.
- Lead the team to ensure the successful coordination and execution of the project scope.
- Represent the Troy Software Engineering & Inverter/ECU Engineering team throughout the organization, including but not limited to topics with Regional and Global Product Engineering sites, Program Management, Internal/External Customers, and Suppliers.
- Work closely with the site Director and the Platform Engineering Global leads for Software & Control Algorithms Building Block & Control Hardware & Inverter Building Block to ensure a future ready organization for eMobility.
- Practice and maintain integrity while following Magna's Charter and Constitution.
- Follow Magna's Code of Conduct and Ethics and related compliance policies.
- Supports and adheres to policies, procedures, and operational guidelines related to established quality management system (IATF 16949).
- Drive the development of new technologies to improve quality, efficiency and reduce cost.
- Comply with safety policies and procedures to ensure duties of self are performed in a safe manner.
- Health & Safety responsibilities:
- Understands and enforces Environmental, Health & Safety policies, procedures and rules.
- Involved in accident / incident investigation, reporting and corrective actions.
- Reviews safety incidents, memos, etc. with employees.
- Train new employees.
- Correct unsafe acts and conditions.
- Ensure use of appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Assess employee safety performance as part of performance appraisal.
- Create a positive work environment by demonstrating and sharing functional/technical knowledge.
- Develop and maintain a responsive and cooperative working relationship with internal and external customers.
- Treat everyone with dignity, trust and respect.
- Complete additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Customers and Business Interfaces
- Platform Engineering
- Systems Engineering & PFG
- Site Director
- OEM Engineering
- Inverter Engineering
- eMotor Engineering
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required.
- 10 (ten) to 15 (fifteen) years of experience in various software engineering fields and hardware engineering roles.
- Experience with Software Engineering, full lifecycle development experience required.
- Experience with Electrical Hardware Engineering development required, experience with design, development, and/or manufacturing of traction inverters for electrified powertrains required.
- Minimum 5 (five) to 7 (seven) years of experience in leadership roles required, with increasing responsibility and demonstrated success in leading and developing teams.
- Proven experience in automotive software development processes required.
- Customer and market experience.
- Proven and demonstrated problem-solving capabilities with strategic, analytic thinking.
- Proven ability to work in complex matrix organizations and to develop them to the next level of excellence.
Office environment; up to 20% travel required.
While working in this environment, the employee will be exposed to machinery, moving equipment and material, moderate noise, airborne particles, fumes and various levels of temperature created by manufacturing processes.
Awareness. Unity. Empowerment.
At Magna, we believe that a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That's why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.
Nearest Major Market: Troy
Nearest Secondary Market: Detroit