Senior Manager, Software Engineering at Kinship
WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. Why? Because our pets make us better humans, and we owe them the best possible care. As the premier partner to a new generation of pet parents, we use our data, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be. And we unite changemakers in pet care to break down barriers, open new doors, share insights, and advance our collective knowledge. All so we can reimagine the pet parenting experience, up people’s confidence, and help the world find better ways to care.
Kinship is a coalition that includes:
- Adopt-a-Pet, the destination for finding homes for homeless pets; we help animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies connect their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month
- Our world-leading Wisdom Panel™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs
- The award-winning Whistle™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor
- Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights
- VETINSIGHT™ which gives modern pet parents the veterinary and wellness guidance needed to make smarter, more informed health decision for their pets.
- The Wildest, the destination that helps pet parents keep their cool in the wild world of pet parenting
- GoodFriend, our recently-launched marketplace for all your pet’s people
- PetStory, our platform that curates top services for pet parents in Russia
- FluffyGo, the mobile-first platform is a one-stop solution for science-minded pet parents in China
- LEAP VENTURE STUDIO, our accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents
Together, these teams and more work to set new standards in pet care. And, as a part of Mars Petcare, they work to create a better world for pets. Learn more at www.kinship.co.
OUR B2B ENGINEERING TEAM
The Kinship B2B Engineering teams create APIs and applications that enable our customers to provide the best care and life for their pets. Whether you are working on the world’s largest canine DNA platform, the premier experience for finding and scheduling pet care services or one of the many solutions in our product portfolio, your ideas, design and code will make a real difference in the growing field of pet care technology. This is an exciting time to join Kinship as we scale out our products and create the pet care platform of the future.
We are looking for an Engineering Leader to grow and mentor our teams and provide technical guidance in collaboration across Kinship engineering. A key aspect of this role is to drive our engineering excellence and platform initiatives in our B2B Engineering teams while expanding the mission of each product line. If you are looking for the fast paced and fun environment of a startup with the backing of one of the largest pet care companies in the world, we want to talk to you about opportunities at Kinship.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
- Leverage modern technology and engineering best practices to drive innovation in Petcare
- Inspire a healthy, collaborative, empathetic engineering culture in line with Kinship’s values, helping your team grow and develop their careers at Kinship
- Hire top talent while being mindful of the important balance between culture fit, technical excellence and diversity
- Partner with Kinship and Mars Petcare teams to understand their API and application needs, while thinking like the end user and translating these needs into technical requirements that will drive business value
- Bring your passion for creating great products and teams to your work as part of our core mission
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you’ve learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
TECHNICAL AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS:
- 5+ years experience hiring, managing, and coaching software engineers of varying levels of experience, evaluating existing vs future skill-set needs as a team evolves
- 7+ years modern web application experience (Ember, React, Vue, Angular, etc.)
- Hands on engineering management providing design guidance and code reviews
- Experience building and scaling RESTful APIs (Ruby, Java, GoLang, etc.)
- Experience with database technologies and design (Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB, etc.)
- Expertise using industry standard tools and methodologies for software delivery (Github, Gitflow, Jira, CI/CD, etc.)
- Experience with deconstructing monolithic applications and/or Microservices
- Experience driving engineering and operational excellence using a data driven approach
- Cloud platform experience (AWS, Heroku, GCP, etc)
- Able to work cross functionally and discuss technical concepts with both technical and nontechnical audiences of varying seniority
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship