Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
The Merchant Risk Engineering team’s mission is to deliver a robust merchant approval and risk monitoring platform for the timely, transparent, and consistent assessment of merchant risk throughout the merchant lifecycle. This team works in close partnership with our product managers and risk teams to effectively onboard merchants and build automated risk tools in order to minimize losses post-onboarding. Affirm’s stated goal is to build the largest network as measured by the number of users and merchants; a strong merchant risk capability is key to growing the merchant side of the network equation.
We are looking for a highly motivated senior manager to help build this team in Poland. Come join us!What you'll do
- Build and manage the Merchant Risk team of Machine Learning and Software Engineers.
- Build the capability to assess the legitimacy of any Affirm merchant. Scale the platform to onboard millions of merchants while minimizing losses resulting from fraudulent merchants.
- Build tools for our Risk team to enable (1) prompt risk management (2) human-in-the-loop learning, and (3) control merchant fraud losses.
- Drive planning and prioritization of projects based on product, technical, and business goals.
- Collaborate with engineering teams, product managers, designers and analysts to deliver high quality and effective merchant experience.
- Hire, coach, and mentor employees to increase their impact through regular performance development and feedback conversations.
- Foster a respectful and supportive environment for all team members that effectively leverages the diversity of the team.
- 4-6+ years of experience as a software, or machine learning, engineer with leadership responsibilities and 2+ years as an engineering manager.
- Strong programming skills in Python. Experience using frameworks for machine learning and data science like scikit-learn, pandas, numpy, XGBoost, TensorFlow, mllib
- Experience developing and scaling production systems in a service oriented architecture
- Proficiency in machine learning with experience in areas such as gradient boosting, deep learning, recommendation systems, computational advertising, reinforcement learning, financial forecasting, time series analysis, anomaly detection, monte-carlo simulations, and Markov decision processes
- Passion for working with cross-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams.
- Expert at synthesizing complex business, product, and technical requirements to consistently produce high quality system designs and software.
- Track record of hiring, mentoring, coaching, and developing diverse engineering talent.
- Comfortability with ambiguity and self-awareness to understand and navigate the unknown
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Targeted Gross Monthly Salary: 23,241 - 34,866 PLN
- Flexible Spending Wallets for tech, food, lifestyle and family planning
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
Location - Remote Poland
The majority of our roles can be located anywhere in Poland.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.