We are looking for a seasoned system administrator to help us keep the cloud running smoothly. Reporting to the manager of Cloud Operations, the Cloud Operations/Linux Administrator monitors and provides first-response to all cloud health issues that impact, or could potentially impact, customer experience. You will interface with teams across the organization to research and troubleshoot issues from single droplets to cloud-wide disturbances.What You'll Be Doing:
- Respond to a high volume of technical tickets generated by our customers
- Troubleshooting Linux (CentOS), Apache, Nginx, Haproxy, MySQL, PHP, Redis, Cassandra
- Create and support nagios monitoring checks for various non-standard services
- Working with DataCenter operations to troubleshoot hardware issues
- Hardware and software RAID configurations and troubleshooting
- Automated server provisioning (cobbler, puppet)
- DNS (bind) management
- Configuration and troubleshooting network and hardware (VLANs, switch ports)
- Quickly learn DigitalOcean systems and adapt to rapid changes
- Work both collaboratively and independently within a team setting (we love to use Slack!)
- Identify and communicate process improvement suggestions
- Incident management and escalations
- Help combat fraud and abuse on the platform
- Collaborate with other teams and departments to improve the customer’s experience
- Willingness to work in a 24x7 setting (weekends)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Passionate about technology and customer support
- Strong identity with our brand and team culture
- Strong background with technology and Linux systems
- Strong analytical skills and pattern recognition
- Prior experience in similar environments
- Programming/Scripting: Ruby, Python, Perl, Bash. (understand code and update small scripts)
- Source Code: Git, Gitlab
- Automation: Ansible, Puppet
- Virtualization: KVM, Xen
- Monitoring: nagios, prometheus, grafana
- Databases: complex replication scenarios (Master <-> Master)
- Clustering: understanding Redis and Cassandra clusters
- High availability: Good understanding of corosync/pacemaker HS clusters
- Storage: EMC Isilon experience is a plus
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This is a remote role
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Infrastructure #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!