Public.com is an investing platform that helps people become better investors. Members can build a diverse portfolio of stocks, funds, and crypto within a single platform.
On Public, ownership unlocks an experience of content and education, contextual to their portfolio, created by a million+ strong community of investors, creators and analysts.
Public puts investors first, and doesn’t sell trades to market makers or take money from Payment for Order Flow (PFOF).
We announced our Series D funding round of $220 million in Feb. 2021, just two months after our Series C round. Our investors include Accel, Greycroft, (the original investors in Venmo) and Lakestar, as well as Will Smith (Dreamers VC), Tony Hawk, The Chainsmokers’ Mantis VC; NFL star J.J. Watt, NYU Stern professor and entrepreneur Scott Galloway, business executive Dick Parsons, Business Class founder Sophia Amoruso, and Shari Redstone’s Advancit Capital.What you’ll do:
As a backend engineer on the Social Team, you will be a driving force implementing features which support Public’s unique mission at the intersection of investing and social. This will take the form of architecting and building systems from scratch, implementing and improving social features, squashing bugs, maintaining the health of our systems, and iterating on code to support increasing scale and performance. The ideal candidate is technically curious, biased to delivery without sacrificing quality, has a strong sense of ownership, shares learnings and mentors teammates, and is a good partner with Product and Design. You’ll be expected to:
- Lead the development and testing of system components/services, code and design reviews
- Participate in shaping the technical architecture of the product
- Help translate user stories into technical solutions
- Deliver highly available and scalable services in a production environment
- Mentor other engineers, support the technical culture, and help grow the team
- Generate ideas for new initiatives and technologies
- Communicate with project leads, product managers and other software developers
- 5+ years software engineering experience
- Our core stack is Java, Spring, MySQL, Neo4J, and AWS; some experience is preferred but you don't have to be an expert in any of these, just be eager to learn
- Strong sense of responsibility - driving a project from inception to completion
- Affinity for solving problems and shipping impactful features - progress is more important than perfection
- Experience working in a collaborative coding environment (and git specifically), refining designs together, writing tests, working through code reviews and managing pull requests
- Built social features like personalized or trending feeds, recommendation algorithms, or improved search ranking
- Hands on experience with graph databases, basic machine learning, analytics, and/or search technologies
- Experience scaling highly available, mission critical systems
- AWS experience
- Experience with Agile
Public is an equal employment opportunity employer to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We celebrate people of all race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression.