We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
At Coinbase, maintaining a high security bar earns us the trust of millions of customers. They choose to buy, sell and store billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. As a Security Engineer on the Infrastructure Security team, you’ll build services and features that reduce that set and maintain the highest standards of security and privacy for our engineers and users.
The Infrastructure Security team works directly with the Infrastructure team architecting, advising, and building solutions that make the Coinbase engineering platform secure and let our engineers focus on building great products. Our work touches all facets of the engineering pipeline, from development and deployment, to core infrastructure and configuration, to the cross between SRE and Security. You’ll work with these infrastructure teams while constantly improving our overall posture through defaults and detections that complement the overall platform. In the next year, we’ll be working on enhancing how our services authenticate and authorize access, using eBPF and KRSI for precision system monitoring and protection, and implementing In-toto to help us track the provenance of external and internal dependencies.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Help Infrastructure engineers develop secure systems by advising on secure patterns and practices
- Proactively introduce new controls into the Coinbase infrastructure platform that enhance our defense in depth
- Incorporate new secure design patterns into the Coinbase infrastructure platform that expand what our engineers can do safely
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- You exhibit our core values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution
- You have strong threat modeling skills to enable you to understand systems and what can go wrong
- You have experience with cloud-native architectures
Nice to haves:
- You enjoy wrangling complex problems and datasets - we often deal with messy or voluminous datasets such as configuration across our fleet or terabytes of logs, so interest in modern data management tools that help us find signal in the noise will be beneficial
- Interest in cryptography or privacy engineering - we use cryptography across our organization to protect our users, and bringing standardization and integration into our platform will help meet our mission of helping engineers focus on building products. We have cryptographic engineers that build and validate primitives, but knowing how and where to use them will be helpful
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry - we are both, and have to work to build highly constrained architectures that are as painless as possible, while remaining highly transparent for ease of compliance and audit
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how your data will be processed as part of the application procedure for application locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.