Senior Imaging Application Scientist – Digital Array Technology at Invitae
On Site: San Francisco CA
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our team is expanding rapidly, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about helping improve healthcare to join us!
Invitae needs scientists and engineers with a diverse set of backgrounds to help us achieve our mission. We are a cross-functional team of scientific domain experts and dedicated, curious engineers. We build systems that take massive amounts of genomic data, combine it with the world's scientific literature, add to it years of rigorously curated results, and package it all neatly for our scientists to consume. It's a lot of information. As the data gets bigger, our systems need to get better and faster. That's where you come in.
We are looking for an experienced Imaging Application Scientist for the Digital Array Technology (DArT) team to design and execute experiments which will guide the development of our custom fluorescence based high content scanner for use in non-invasive prenatal screening (NIPS). This key position will play a pivotal role in expanding access to high quality, affordable NIPS genetic testing.What you will do:
- Design, execute and analyze fluorescence microscopy experiments with the intent to create calibration routines and quality control for performance monitoring and troubleshooting of our custom high-content fluorescence scanners
- Collaborate closely with our consumable manufacturing, assay development and bioinformatics teams to understand and develop high quality imaging instrumentation that offers a robust and complete NIPS solution to internal customers.
- Act as the “voice of the customer” to translate requirements to hardware and software engineers
- Create training materials and SOPs for use by DArT scientists and engineers.
- Help to build, integrate and maintain a fleet of high content scanning systems, including development of creative solutions to improve scalability and maintainability of the fleet.
- Support and encourage an environment of psychological safety and trust. Encourage collaboration, direct communication, a sense of urgency and perseverance in problem solving.
- PhD in biochemistry/biophysics/bioengineering or related field with a minimum of 3 years of experience working in an advanced academic or industry setting
- Deep knowledge of fluorescence microscopy with a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot experimental designs in a highly dynamic environment
- Experience with high-content screening or high-content throughput imaging
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with a broad multidisciplinary team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with single-molecule fluorescence microscopy highly desired
- Experience with ImageJ, python and/or R for image/data analysis highly desired
- Experience with OEM vendor management and/or mechanical design highly preferred
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve created a culture that empowers our teams and our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
Please apply even if you don’t meet all of the “What you bring” requirements noted. It’s rare that someone checks every single item, it’s ok, we encourage you to apply anyways.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.