Senior Hardware Engineering Manager at Uber
About the Role
Uber is looking for a top-notch Senior Manager to manage a team of hardware engineers that enable architecting, designing, and qualifying hardware server infrastructure for at scale deployment. We are generalists with strong backgrounds and varying expertise across all parts of the stack at scale.
We actively challenge existing hardware trends and are always seeking the best solution to a problem. Not only are we solving our own problems, but because of our scale, we are solving problems that other companies have not yet had. This means we work closely with vendors and help shape their roadmaps to solve these problems. This role involves a wide variety of technologies across a large number of disciplines. You will be expected to jump in and develop strong solutions at scale. You will have a chance to make an immediate impact that improves the quality of our infrastructure.
What You'll Do:
- Own and drive end to end hardware product life cycle
- Oversee resources, budget, staffing and designs of multiple hardware engineering functions
- Drive roadmap and architecture for our hw servers.
- Breakdown complex issues and collaborate across HW, SW and cross functional teams to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Understand overall Infrastructure stack and work with internal stakeholders to drive TCO optimized solutions while clearly understanding technology and cost tradeoffs
- Design and implement processes, methodologies to ensure high quality products while ensuring agility and speed.
- Drive the server compute product requirements and specifications including system management functionalities including tooling and automation.
- Work with OXM vendors to drive the development of the server
- Work with data center partners to debug issues, define system requirements, and solicit feedback for next generation hardware
- Enable and foster best practices and drive innovations.
- Cultivate a culture of collaboration across cross-functional teams such as datacenter, software application, sw platform/infrastructure teams, finance and supply chain. Drive career development and mentoring with the team.
- Foster and expand a premier engineering team.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of proven experience leading multiple teams through Engineering Managers and Technical Leads
- 6+ years of experience leading the overall server system design with successful releases to production
- Strong background in mentoring engineers, championing team culture and providing career development support.
- Experience managing or directly working with engineering functions like manufacturing quality, thermal, mechanical and power.
- Extensive experience working with and managing relationships with OXM and commodity vendors
- Familiar with all industry interface standards (PCIe, DRR, etc.)
- Master's degree in electrical engineering
- Experience with embedded firmware
- Experience with Datacenter Hardware Open Source Standards like OCP, Open19, etc.
- Machine learning products development experience.
- Good understanding of overall Infrastructure stack
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.