We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
At Coinbase, maintaining a high security bar earns us the trust of millions of customers. They choose to buy, sell and store billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. As a Hardware Specialist on the Security Engineering team, you’ll balance maintaining and scaling the hardware used to secure our digital assets.
The Security Engineering team works closely with our engineering and security customers to build security services that keep our digital assets secure. We maintain a high security bar while reducing security friction.
What you’ll be doing:
- Perform hands-on builds and reconfigurations of Linux laptops and related peripheral devices following our security hardware specifications
- Troubleshoot hardware, firmware, and software issues
- Adopt and incorporate established standards for high-security environments in both the acquisition and destruction of hardware
- Improve and maintain process documentation and runbooks
- Discover bugs through rigorous testing of the hardware and software
- Develop and execute against test plans
- Collaborate with the team to identify and test prototype hardware
- Provide in-depth training to team members on how the technology functions and how it is enhanced to address unique business requirements
- Develop scripts and clients to interact with hardware APIs
- Design, recommend and lead new and sustaining improvements to hardware systems
What we look for in you:
- You exhibit our core values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution
- You know what high quality, secure supply chain processes look like and how to source and establish them
- You are eager to learn new tools, explore ways to solve problems, and to make processes more efficient and secure
- You can prioritize and manage several open issues at one time
- You have built custom, complex laptop hardware using individual components and have installed and configured Linux operating systems
- You have experience independently troubleshooting both hardware and firmware
- You are comfortable working via command line interface
- You are comfortable developing scripts and linux based client software to interact with hardware APIs
Nice to haves:
- You have experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry
- You are familiar with custom Linux operating systems and/or Linux internals
- Solid understanding of computer fundamentals and hardware components
- Security experience
- IT experience
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $170,000 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k).
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.