Hippo is a Palo Alto based company leading the modernization of the home insurance and protection industry, which hasn’t innovated in many years. We use technology to create modernized, customer-centric home insurance and proactive maintenance services. We take our hyper-focus on customer satisfaction (buyer simplicity, comprehensive coverage, concierge service) a step further, by offering IoT Smart Home devices for monitoring home health. These devices, together with numerous other data sources (like aerial imagery and predictive actuarial data) allow us to proactively address problems before homeowners even know about them.
Hippo is solving complex engineering, compliance, regulatory and operational problems that have immediate impact on this antiquated industry. We're on a strong (but responsible) growth trajectory, with a proven and recession-proof set of products.
To support our continuous growth, we’re looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to help us develop the core Hippo platform and expand product offerings across the United States. The ideal candidate brings demonstrated experience in software engineering, leadership, maturity and a deep understanding of the software development life cycle. Preferred but not required experience: former work experience in the digital insurance or fintech sectors, and ideally a startup.
- Design, develop and deploy Hippo’s core capabilities and Platform services
- Lead a team of 3-10 engineers with 2-3 main topics of focus. Drive technical review of design documents, code review, prioritization of development roadmap and fixes
- Work with, and influence, cross functional stakeholders within Hippo, e.g. Product, Design, QA, Finance
- Areas of focus will be around backend services and Platform capabilities, either around Smart Home features and/or a set of Partner APIs for ecosystem enablement
- Mentor and lead other engineers, develop them for higher impact and teamwork
- 10+ years relevant work experience in software development
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Relentless focus on end-user and creating customer-centric solutions
- Proven ability to build a team, develop people, and influence cross-functional teams and senior management
- Adaptability to increase the scope of work / switch around to other areas of impact at a fast-moving startup
- High level of proficiency in algorithms, data structures, and systems design
- Experience working with database systems (specifically PostgreSQL, BigQuery)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical field
- Startup experience
- Insuretech, fintech experience
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known