About Varsity Tutors
We are revolutionizing the way the world learns.
Our mission is simple: to help people learn! Varsity Tutors is a fast-growing education technology company that is improving how people learn. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction to achieve any goal.
With more than a decade of operating experience, we are North America's largest tutoring network and help hundreds of thousands of people learn each year through tutoring, classes and self-study. This amazing growth has earned us the right to transition into a public company as of October 2021: fueling incredible new career opportunities across the company. Get in on the ground floor, and embark on this exciting new stage of our evolution.
We succeed thanks to a diverse mix of talented people who want to come, stay, and do their best work. If you love learning, technology, and making a true impact, you’re going to love working here!
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position. We’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate. Everyone can grow at Varsity Tutors. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply. Apply now if this is a role that would make you excited to work every day!
About the Job
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join our growing team. In this position, you will lead multi-discipline engineering teams across our learning experience domain - driving delivery, performance and quality in our next-generation virtual classrooms and self-study technologies. In addition, you will both inform and grow Nerdy engineering culture, furthering our drive to be the best place on earth to be a technologist.
If you have a passion for excellence and a meticulous eye for detail, we want to hear from you.
In this position, you will…
- Collaborate with your Product and Design partners to define, deliver and own our Customers’ learning experiences.
- Provide direction and oversight on technical architectures and systems design.
- Manage our engineering staff’s daily feeding and care: championing objectives, monitoring progress, and removing blockers.
- Continually improve and optimize your teams’ performance - the humans on your team and the systems they’ve created.
- Above all, you inspire, mentor and advocate for the engineers entrusted to your care so they can reach their full potential.
- Proven track record in Engineering: - 3+ years of successful leadership experience
- At-scale technical architecture - you’ve designed and built complex yet performant systems that serve millions.
- Microservice experience, preferably cloud-hosted
- A strong desire to learn and a passion for educational technology
Nice to have
- AWS Services
- Agile development (Scrum or Kanban)
- Test-driven development
This position is a full-time remote opportunity - we've been remote-friendly for years, and that isn't going away.
- Competitive Salary plus Equity in the company
- Full remote work environment (Work anywhere in the U.S. or Canada!)
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday (for your birthday!)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members and free access to classes
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help transform how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback-rich culture
- Paid VTO ("Volunteer Time Off" to do community service/charity work)
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. (INDHP)