Senior Engineer, Metal Innovation at Ball Aerospace
Ball Corporation manufactures aluminum packaging for beverage, personal care and household products, and provides aerospace and other technologies for commercial and government customers. We have been in business for over 140 years and is leading the charge in creating solutions that keep our planet healthy. Ball Corp has been nationally recognized as a leading company in the creation of sustainable products (Fast Company World Changing Ideas award) as well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity (Forbes Magazine.) Join our team of over 18,000 people worldwide in our quest to make the world a cleaner and healthier place. BE BIGGER THAN YOURSELF. BE UNSTOPPABLE. BE AN INSPIRATION. JOIN US IN MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE.
Provides technical support for the research and development function as directed.
What will you be responsible for?
- Subject matter expert for high speed aluminum metal forming technologies, including drawing, ironing, stamping, impact extrusion and spinning.
- Creates new packaging designs in aluminum and generates / executes various mechanical and process testing on new packaging.
- Works with design team to develop metal forming tooling and sequences to create final product. Strong technical drawing, dimensioning (including GD&T), metrology, tool manufacture and machine design knowledge needed.
- Works with new and existing suppliers to create new or transfer existing processes to metal forming.
- Strong customer presentation skills and ability to manage customer relationships. Interacts well with customers to generate new packaging designs and validates package integrity on customer filling lines.
- Creates and documents innovations into finalized IP, including patents and trade secrets
- Makes use of analytical & statistical evaluation & analysis tools such as DOE, FMEA, cost models, statistically relevant / significant sample sizes & run lengths w/ control data comparisons
- Seek, identify, & proactively address areas of concern such as lack of resources, project delays, etc. by creating recovery paths where needed
- Create comprehensive engineering packages (recipes) for operations & engineering to optimize production startups & minimize operational issues in the plant environment – often requires heavy support/collaboration in creating / editing quality test methods / equipment / SOP’s, operational SOP’s, tooling, material specs & EHS documentation, etc.
- Strong leadership skills, high level project management skills and ability to lead and make quick decisions. Use stage gate & project management tools & documentation to enable & document cross functional collaboration w/ areas such as business development, sales, operations, & engineering
- Ability to generate/support business cases for new products including evaluation of capital equipment, support equipment and material usage.
What are we looking for?
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college degree level education or work-related experience
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field, such as mathematics, metallurgy or physics, required
- MS in Engineering or a related technical field a plus
- Job related experience for 4-8 years minimum
- Good Business Acumen skills – MBA a plus
- Good ability to multitask and think / troubleshoot in a nonlinear manner
- Experience working with geographically dispersed engineering and business teams
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and follow directions
- Ability to articulate and promote project management best-practices
- Ability to overcome roadblocks by enabling others with clear communication, troubleshooting, and at times simply propping up others where needed
- High level of project management skills and good with project/program management tools such as MS project
- Ability to lead small teams and engage/motivate others
- Good understanding of statistical principles
Compensation & Benefits
- Hiring Salary Range: $ 77,500 - 115,500 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click "Total Rewards" to learn more.
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball Corporation ends in “@ball.com.” Please also be advised that Ball will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit our careers website at https://jobs.ball.com/.
If you have applied to a position and have been asked for personal information through LinkedIn, please notify LinkedIn directly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans