Senior Engineer - Infrastructure Security at Recursion (Salt Lake City, UT)
If you made a list of all the things your perfect job would have, what would be on it? Would it include a mission that truly justified the word “mission?” Would it involve being part of one of the best scientific research and production labs in the world creating petabytes of insight-rich data? Would it be a place filled with smart people all trying to help you do the best work of your career? Would it have leadership that could see an almost science fiction-like future and was looking to you to get there?
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset the Recursion Map, a collection of hundreds of billions of searchable inferences across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias.
Recursion has been purpose-built to do things that have quite literally never been done before. And while we have resources and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. They are the ones who make big bets and deal in orders of magnitude instead of thinking incrementally, and the result is clear: Eight years ago, we were doing plate manufacturing by hand. Today, we are able to process and scan more than a million experiments every week.
You’ll be joining Recursion at an interesting time, both for the company and for the world. The global pandemic has reinforced in everyone’s mind not only the importance of therapeutics, but also the critical value that accelerating every phase of drug discovery can provide. For most, the notion that “patients can’t wait” is abstract; COVID-19 has made this concept all too real for millions, even billions, worldwide. Every week, you’ll work hand-in-glove with our data and science teams, turning 1.8 million+ weekly automated experiments into a map of human biology.
It is an audacious goal, but it isn’t a dream or science fiction. We’re already doing it.
Hear from an engineering leader
The Impact You'll Make
- Collaborate with the Information Security, IT and Engineering teams, including guiding teams towards strong Tech. Infrastructure security practices and remediating known risks.
- Implement strong endpoint, compute storage, IoT and Network Security with the objective of enabling organizational goals.
- Implement tools for the Security Operations/incident Response team and work closely to adjust security capabilities based on real-world feedback
- Develop metrics, monitoring, and reporting procedures.
- Provide support to the Security Operations/Incident Response teams during major security events and incidents and events.
- Own the end-to-end security posture of our Technology Infrastructure.
The Team You'll Join
- You will join the IT and Information Security team at Recursion, a growing team focused on helping Recursion decode biology by providing outstanding technology services that are designed and fit for purpose. You'll collaborate closely with your teammates in Information Security, Software Engineering, and Data Science to agree on what the most important challenges and capabilities are, then figure out how to get us there.
The Experience You'll Need
- Experience working closely with IT, Infrastructure & Technology teams, Software Engineering teams
- Understanding of modern IT Infrastructure security capabilities including Network, Endpoints, IoT, Cloud, Compute and Storage.Scripting knowledge and Identity & Access Management knowledge a bonus .
- Familiarity with Zero-Trust Architecture, NIST/ISO27001 security frameworks, CIS benchmarks, security testing methodologies
- Understanding of protocols common in web development and data platforms e.g. TCP/IP, HTTPS, database protocols.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.