Location: Anywhere in the US. Our engineering team is fully distributed
Salary range: $155,000-$225,0000
Data-driven companies win. Mode provides the tools to make companies data-driven. Data analysts quickly answer business questions using data in a comprehensive, cloud-based toolchain. Business users can understand and explore their company’s data in our world-class visualization product. By serving both analysts and business users, Mode provides the complete solution for data-driven companies.
Helix is at the data platform at the center of Mode. Helix provides the fast, interactive data processing that drives Mode’s visual analytics and dashboards. Helix combines an in-memory database and a domain specific data flow language that lets users model and extend their data.
We are hiring engineers to build Helix as the data platform for Mode. That includes extending the domain specific language, partnering with teams that build on top of Helix, and bringing a service oriented mindset to continually look for problems and improve Helix.
Engineering at Mode
Come work with a diverse and deeply experienced team. We have colleagues from companies like Google, Tableau, SAS, Apple, Facebook, Glassdoor and many more. Read about our key engineering values.
Engineers at Mode work in small, cross-functional teams that own specific products and act with high autonomy. We value open discussion, collaboration and engineering excellence.
- Back End Services: Ruby on Rails, Java, Go
- Front End Framework: Angular
- Infrastructure and orchestration: Terraform, Docker, SaltStack, CloudFormation
- A wide array of AWS services including EC2, RDS, DynamoDB, ECR, ECS
- Monitoring and observability: Honeycomb, Wavefront, Sumologic, Bugsnag
- GitHub, Circle CI
What you'll do
- Develop and extend the Helix domain specific data flow language with new capabilities to empower analysts
- Create parsers, analyzers, and interpreters
- Optimize the system for performance and availability - impacts here ripple through the rest of Mode
- Collaborate closely with the product, design, and analytics teams to identify areas where we can develop new language features, functionality, and tools
- Define and maintain development practices that help us build more quickly and confidently
- Learn from customers: How do they use the product? What are they trying to accomplish? How can we help them get to insights faster?
What we look for
- A proven track record of building and deploying domain specific languages, including: parsers, analyzers, and/or interpreters
- You are always curious - even after completing a project, you are eager for user feedback, telemetry to understand behavior, and odd signals make you want to dig in to learn more
- You think about the entire system from idea to delivery, from maintainability to security
- Proficiency with TypeScript, our primary tool chain language, is a plus
- Proficiency with Java, our primary tool chain for services, is a plus
- Alignment with Mode's values
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays the 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. For California residents please review our CCPA Privacy Notice linked here.