Senior Engineer, Android at Kinship
WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. Why? Because our pets make us better humans, and we owe them the best possible care. As the premier partner to a new generation of pet parents, we use our data, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be. And we unite changemakers in pet care to break down barriers, open new doors, share insights, and advance our collective knowledge. All so we can reimagine the pet parenting experience, up people’s confidence, and help the world find better ways to care.
Kinship is a coalition that includes:
- Adopt-a-Pet, the destination for finding homes for homeless pets; we help animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies connect their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month
- Our world-leading Wisdom Panel™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs
- The award-winning Whistle™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor
- Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights
- VETINSIGHT™ which gives modern pet parents the veterinary and wellness guidance needed to make smarter, more informed health decision for their pets.
- The Wildest, the destination that helps pet parents keep their cool in the wild world of pet parenting
- GoodFriend, our recently-launched marketplace for all your pet’s people
- PetStory, our platform that curates top services for pet parents in Russia
- FluffyGo, the mobile-first platform is a one-stop solution for science-minded pet parents in China
- LEAP VENTURE STUDIO, our accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents
Together, these teams and more work to set new standards in pet care. And, as a part of Mars Petcare, they work to create a better world for pets. Learn more at www.kinship.co.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
As a Senior Android Engineer you will be a primary contributor to Whistle’s Android app and be relied upon as an expert in Android’s capabilities and limitations when defining and developing new features. You will collaborate with our software, hardware and customer support teams to ensure that our Android app is aligned with our customers’ needs and meets Whistle’s high quality of standards. To be successful in this role you are someone who is continuously and proactively looking for ways our team can improve both the quality of our Android app and the speed at which we can deliver.
In this role you will:
- Leverage your Android experience to maintain, refine, and build upon or existing code base.
- Write well-structured, reliable, efficient and easily maintainable code
- Work closely with product and design teams to scope and define feature specifications.
- Deliver new features to enhance our user’s experience
- Help guide and improve the technical direction of mobile, bolstering the technical skillset of the team. Identifying and driving improvements to process, performance, and architecture.
- Be purposely inquisitive and continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new mobile technologies
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you’ve learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
- 4+ years of experience developing and shipping native Android apps to the Google Play Store (ReactNative, Flutter, Xamarin, etc are fine bonus skills, but don’t count)
- A strong grasp of Java and modern Android best practices and design patterns
- Proficient in Kotlin (Majority of codebase has been ported to Kotlin and all new code is expected to be written in Kotlin)
- An understanding of Strong CS fundamentals (algorithms, data structures)
- Familiarity with variety of app architectures and methodologies like MVVM, Dependency Injection, RxJava
- Not afraid to write tests – both JUnit and Espresso (or similar)
- Experience with Bluetooth and integration with IoT style devices is a big plus.
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship