Who We Are
Verkada is the leader in integrated cloud-managed enterprise building security. Verkada combines our cloud-managed software platform with hardware powered by edge-based processing to provide customers with a real-time view into every part of their organization. Designed with simplicity in mind, Verkada’s video security cameras, access control and environmental sensors natively integrate with our platform and are virtually effortless to install, maintain, and manage across hundreds of sites. Verkada protects more than 6,000 organizations, including more than 30+ of the Fortune 500.
What you will do:
As a member of the Alarms & Intrusion engineering team, you will be responsible for developing the foundational software for our next major hardware product line. This is an opportunity to take ownership over something completely new — our goal is to turn the products you will work on into a major new revenue source for Verkada.
You’ll be working alongside a small, dynamic team of embedded, backend and frontend engineers to develop this new product line. Our team operates as a startup within a startup, so you can expect a lot of autonomy and impact on the direction of what we build.
If you are an experienced embedded engineer who is excited about building new ways to keep people safe and secure, then we want to hear from you.
Verkada is #10 on the LinkedIn Top Startups 2020 list and #4 on the Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers 2020. In January 2020, the company raised $80 million Series C at a $1.6 billion post-money valuation and is backed by top-tier investors like Sequoia Capital, First Round, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
Your Day to Day:
- Develop the software which runs on our new line of Embedded Linux and RTOS based devices.
- Help architect and implement entirely new communication protocols for these devices.
- Work with the wider engineering team to implement foundational software for performing OTA updates, securing our devices, ensuring they are incredibly resilient and making sure they are delightful to use.
- Help mentor other engineers.
- Contribute to other parts of the stack (e.g. our backend services), if that interests you.
Education and Experience:
- 3+ years of work experience in an embedded engineering role and at least 1 year of experience in C or C++.
- Good working knowledge of common low-level interfaces: SPI, I2C, UART.
- Experience with embedded Linux based systems.
- Experience reading schematics (basic EE skills).
- Degree in Computer Science or related Engineering field.
- Experience with wireless communication protocols.
- Experience programming in Go and Python.
- Experience with RTOS and / or bare-metal development.
- Working knowledge of at least one server-side framework and one database system.
Perks and Benefits:
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada and Parents at Verkada.
Read Full Job Description