Senior Embedded Engineer - Alarms & Intrusion at Verkada Inc (Peninsula)
| Peninsula | Hybrid
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:38 p.m. (CST) on Wednesday, March 1, 2023
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re building the operating system for the physical world.
We started in 2016 with video security cameras and an intuitive cloud-based platform, and in just six years, we've expanded to include five additional product lines (access control, environmental sensors and alarms, as well as visitor and mailroom management) that help enterprises to protect and manage their people and assets.
Today more than 14,000 organizations across 63 countries worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, intelligent control, and scalable deployments. We are valued at $3.2 billion, with $360 million raised in venture capital from investors including Linse Capital, MSD Partners, L.P., Felicis Ventures, Next47, Sequoia Capital, Meritech Capital, and First Round Capital.
This is just the beginning. The need for businesses to secure and manage their people and physical assets with scale and speed is mission critical and continues to increase. Our teams are energized by the complex challenges we work on and the platform we are building to make the schools, hospitals, businesses and communities that we live and work in safer.
What you will do:
As a member of the Alarms & Intrusion engineering team, you will be responsible for developing the foundational software for our next major hardware product line. This is an opportunity to take ownership over something completely new — our goal is to turn the products you will work on into a major new revenue source for Verkada.
You’ll be working alongside a small, dynamic team of embedded, backend and frontend engineers to develop this new product line. Our team operates as a startup within a startup, so you can expect a lot of autonomy and impact on the direction of what we build.
If you are an experienced embedded engineer who is excited about building new ways to keep people safe and secure, then we want to hear from you.
Your Day to Day:
- Develop the software which runs on our new line of Embedded Linux and RTOS based devices.
- Help architect and implement entirely new communication protocols for these devices.
- Work with the wider engineering team to implement foundational software for performing OTA updates, securing our devices, ensuring they are incredibly resilient and making sure they are delightful to use.
- Help mentor other engineers.
- Contribute to other parts of the stack (e.g. our backend services), if that interests you.
Education and Experience:
- 3+ years of work experience in an embedded engineering role and at least 1 year of experience in C or C++.
- Good working knowledge of common low-level interfaces: SPI, I2C, UART.
- Experience with embedded Linux based systems.
- Experience reading schematics (basic EE skills).
- Degree in Computer Science or related Engineering field.
- Experience with wireless communication protocols.
- Experience programming in Go and Python.
- Experience with RTOS and / or bare-metal development.
- Working knowledge of at least one server-side framework and one database system.
Perks and Benefits:
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada, and Parents at Verkada.
Read Full Job Description